Tools for removing a studwork wall quickly?

What are the best tools for removing a studwork wall quickly? Electric chainsaw?

Cheers,

Jake

Reply to
Jake

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:35:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spamBgone.com (Jake) strung together this:

Whoa cowboy. A claw hammer will suffice, and possibly a decent woodsaw too. Unless you really think you want an electric chainsaw for the collection..... Now for ultimate rapid removal try a JCB and\or a team of demolition contractors with a wrecking ball, make sure they're approved and insured though.

Reply to
Lurch

My bro-in-law swears by those Scorpion-style saws - also very good for chopping out old wooden window frames. I'm afraid I don't know the generic name for such saws, Scorpion being what B&D call 'em, but someone will be along in a minute to tell you. :-)

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Reciprocating power saw, or powered hand saw.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Before you get too keen check that it's not loadbearing and there aren't any cables or pipes running through it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Prefer a petrol one myself... but, first:

1) remove all plasterboard and insulation 2) remove any cables 3) remove any pipes

Then, *only* cut in the middle of studs to avoid nails and screws.

Then use a decent bar to lever top and bottom plates and seperate studs.

The cutting but is quite minor really.

Reply to
TonyK

Yes - great bits of tackle for geriatric diyers who are too knackered to use unpowered stuff. Handy for tree pruning as well.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

"Jake" wrote | What are the best tools for removing a studwork wall quickly? | Electric chainsaw?

Invite the karate club around

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Tony, Thanks for the guidance. Removing all the plasterboard sounds easier said than done - but perhaps not...

Thanks to the other respondees too. No it's not a loadbearing studwork wall; I know, because I built it myself a few years ago.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Iaido club. Karate people will just punch holes in things.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Did this recently and a reciprocating saw was the tool. The blade is flexible so it is possible to use it close to the floor to cut through those nails and then it was easy to cut through the nails joining the sections vertically. The right blade cuts through wood or steel or plasterboard. We didn't even take the plsterboard off in some cases until we had the sections outside and then only to re-cover the wood frames which were re-used.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Once you've gained access it will simply pull off, perhaps breaking at each stud. A couple of wide (bolster) chisels will soon start it again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last time I cut up framework I used a hand held circ saw: incredibly quick. Miles faster than reciprocating types. If youre doing it but cant see the wood, I;d use a nail blade for safety.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

sledge hammer. electric keyhole type saw.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[snip]

Remember to cut at a slight diagonal.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought of that. Makes good sense!

Jake

Reply to
Jake

In message , Jake writes

Mattock. :) Really.

Reply to
mark

Everyone's wrong. ;-)

is my "multi-tool" - if you can't break it down or smash it up or rip it out with one of these it's too complicated to be doing the job as diy. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.