Toilet Trouble

I am surprised by the diagnostic ability of the group. Why do people assume the blockage will be in hand reaching distance when the total pipe is many yards long?

John

Reply to
John

This is true, as I found my blockage was near to the exit of the pipe in backyard.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

|I am surprised by the diagnostic ability of the group. Why do people assume |the blockage will be in hand reaching distance when the total pipe is many |yards long?

Because IMO blockages *usually* occur at the first bend or constriction in the pipe. Think about it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

But the first bend has the benefit of being very smooth china and slippery where as Cast Iron .............or cracked earthenware.......

John

Reply to
John

Not on one of our toilets it isn't. The glaze only extends as far as you can see it. Put your hand up 'n under and the crest of the first bend is an unglazed rough finish. A right pain in the whatsit.

Reply to
Tony Williams

From the earlier 'Half-full/half-empty kind of issue' thread:

'The level in our downstairs toilet took to falling to normal when flushed with a slow rise to a little above normal over the following minutes. All in slow motion (sorry, couldn't resist!).

The manhole outside, some 4 feet deep, was full almost to the top with 'stuff' of quite a viscous consistency. The 'slurp' as it went was quite satisfying.

You may wish to investigate with this in mind whilst holding a long pole and with the wind to your back!'