Timber garage advice

I have a standalone concrete sectional garage at the side of my (brick- built) house, built in the mid 60=92s and not in the prime of life so I=92m looking to replace it possibly with a timber one (which I think will look quite good). Size approx 5m x 2.6m. A few questions:

  1. Do planning regs apply if I replace it with one of same size (albeit in different construction material), or if I were to attach it to the house, or if I were to make it slightly larger to incorporate a utility room (say, adding no more than 10% of current total house volume)?

  1. I believe there are building regs about constructions made of combustible material, i.e. must be built at least 1 metre from boundary. Can anyone confirm this?

  2. Can anyone recommend any suppliers of decent timber garages? - i.e. well-built and aesthestically pleasing, not just glorified sheds.

4.Does anyone have any experience with timber garages - good or bad?

Many thanks in advance, Andy

Reply to
Andy
  1. Do planning regs apply if I replace it with one of same size (albeit in different construction material), or if I were to attach it to the house, or if I were to make it slightly larger to incorporate a utility room (say, adding no more than 10% of current total house volume)?

  1. I believe there are building regs about constructions made of combustible material, i.e. must be built at least 1 metre from boundary. Can anyone confirm this?

  2. Can anyone recommend any suppliers of decent timber garages? - i.e. well-built and aesthestically pleasing, not just glorified sheds.

4.Does anyone have any experience with timber garages - good or bad?

Many thanks in advance, Andy

Andy,

I believe regs depend partly on your local council. I bought one from Warwick Buildings

in 2001, and as mine is at the end of the garden, away from other buildings and roads and under

4m high I didn't need planning permission etc. You may do being so close to the house. Mine is 28' x 13', and was a customised version of one of their standard buildings, but with doors & windows placed as I required. I went with felt tiles instead of the standard roof offering.

Build quality is excellent, ply with shiplap boards externally. I've had no problems with it since. I insulated it between the timber frame internally and lined it with plywood, before painting. Result is a building that holds heat well in winter and stays cool in summer.

I laid the concrete base, exceeding the specs they specified (thicker & with steel mesh), and used a local brickie to lay the single course of bricks required - perfectly level. They arrived on site and errected it within one day.

I'd certainly buy from them again.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

What's the roof truss construction like? Our ancient one is around 20' x

20', and the trusses are crap - only 4" x 4" along the horizontal sections, and over time that much weight over such a span has caused the roof to sag in the middle.

I'll be rebuilding it in a few years, I think - I'm already forming plans in my head :-) (2x4s, 2x6s and board are dirt cheap here - the main expense is with the siding and shingles).

Not sure if I'll insulate or not; I'd like to keep the same style of hinged double door, but they're crap at keeping the cold out, so maybe there's no point in spending money on insulation for the walls and roof...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Email or phone your local authority planning dept.

Building control department at your local council.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I can't see the construction now as the roof is also insulated & lined, however from memory the beams are around 2x4 every 2' or so with 2x6 where each roof section joins - building made from 2x 10' sections and 1x 8' section.

No sagging, even with 2 people standing on top trimming the tree that hangs over!

I also have hinged double doors (8' opening) which I left uninsulated, which doesn't seem to have effected the heat loss/gain much. I did cement in some pre-cast concrete cappings across the floor in the doorways to prevent wind and rain coming in, so the doors shut against these, which probably helps.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD