tiling in bathroom

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice on tiling my bathroom

At present, I have a new bath, WC and sink fitted with new plumbing - the walls behind each of these is at the moment bare brick (quite uneven as its an old house), the back of the WC cistern is just under

20mm away from the wall and the baths one edge is butted up to the brick work.

After searching other postings on here, it looks like the best options for fixing the tiles are waterproof plasterboard or "Wedi" board

question is : is there enough space behind the WC to dab the board onto the brickwork and afix tiles? The wedi site recomends 10mm board, and I wonder how thick it will be combined with the dabbing and tiles etc. Also, with the bath butted up against the wall, should it stand off the wall slightly to allow for boarding and tiling? or will I get away with it?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Rich

Reply to
rh

I'd tile straight on to the brick if it's dry and reasonably flat. IMO it's only showers where you might think about a waterproof board

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks for the reply

Oops, sorry, should have said there is a shower above the bath, this end of the bath is on the same wall as the WC.

Has anyone had experience of wedi board? is it worth the cost?

Rich

text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
rh

Unless you have a separate shower, I wouldn't think about waterproof board.

What's it going to achieve, other than giving you a flatter surface to tile on? It's better than plasterboard but, if you have solid brick....

text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
Stuart Noble

My wet room is lined with Wedi board. One benefit is that as the core is polystyrene foam, it does provide some insulation. Also it is stable and unlikely to crack or move.

Reply to
djc