Threads - BSP - Parallel - Tapered - BS746

Could someone please post a definition of all these different types of thread. I have searched Google and have come up with some basic, but confilicting, information.

It would also be a great addition to the FAQ.

All i have come up with;

BSP - British Standard Pipe. Parallel thread. BSPT - BSP Tapered Thread.

What is the difference between a parallel and tapered thread? How, looking at a male or female thread, would you determine this? What part of a fitting, and how, would you need to measure to determine the thread size. What size and type of thread do you get on a 15mm compression coupler?

1/2" BSP Parallel Thread? The actual thread does not measure 1/2" but the internal diameter of the 'pipe' does!

Do parallel male and female threads go together? Or is it parallel to female only?

When should and should not a fibre washer be used?

PTFE or Sealing Compound?

What is a BS746 thread?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Here's a few starting points...

Ian Wright's "A Compilation of Thread Size Information"

Metrics Screw threads, overview
Metrics Thread Identification Chart
Morgan's Screw Thread Data
Paquay's Wood Screw Sizes and Pilot Holes
It would also be a great addition to the FAQ.

If you give me the info you gather, I'll see what I can do.

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison