Thing about rads is...

IIRC a footpump is designed for car tyres, at around 30PSI. Which is about 60ft of head...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Which is why I operate gently by hand. You only need about 10 PSI.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Me too. The pair I tried were bespoke chrome rad isolation valves from Screwfix; looked nice and neat and would have been terrific had they done what it said on the tin. However mine leaked right from the off, so I had to dump them, which necessitated taking the rad off

*again* and tweaking the pipework to fit, so I wasn't best pleased. Never tried them again...

David

Reply to
Lobster

It would have to be in the tail - between the rad and the valve - to act in the way you describe. I've seen tails with drain points in them, but I can't recall seeing any with service valves. Of course, someone may know differently!

The downside of this arrangement is that a large rad full of water would be bl**dy heavy to lift off and carry outside.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes I do! (see other post). These were definitely a Screwfix thing, but AFAICS they've discontinued them (unsurprisingly...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Right! If the balls were as reliable as those in their cheapo service valves, it may explain why they've stopped doing them. [I've had several service valves fail. They don't leak, but they just don't turn off - which rather defeats the object of them! The screw turns, but the ball apparently doesn't.]

Reply to
Roger Mills