Thickness of ceiling joists in loft

regs,
cavities
That
More than 300

How much more?
MM

In my old BCO patch 1950's Council-built houses were probably the best.

The fact is that most people do not have children in the 3-13 age bracket and regard larger gardens as as much as a liability than an asset. A house with a larger garden than its neighbour may be more sellable but is unlikely to fetch more money.
IMM wrote in message ...

Like any house, they get damp if not maintained (leaking gutters, damaged

the
Praise indeed!!
Regards Capitol
IMM wrote in message ...
snip drivel Capitol
writes

You must be joking. Try taking those rose-tinted spectacles off sometime.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:11:00 +0000, Mike Tomlinson

I don't think he can! They're made by WimpeyVision or BarrattSavers...
MM

You are right, modern houses look better.
Mitchell wrote:

The roof is usually constructed of trussed rafters - see http://www.trussed-rafters.co.uk/ttypes.htm for typical shapes - which bear on the external walls only: any support given by internal partitions is purely incidental. They are perfectly strong enough for the design loads but no stronger than required - computer design minimises the sizes of the timber members and connecting plates. Generally you would expect the ceiling ties to be capable of taking a distributed load of about 0.75kN/m2 or 15lb/ft2
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

Basically, the lofts in these modern houses don't sound to me anything like as sturdy as in my ex-council house! Maybe I should buy TWO ex-LA semis where I want to move to (Lincs) and make a single home out of them. Or live in one half and rent out the other half.
By the way, does the quality of council house building vary across the country? Where were the best ones built?
MM

Of course. I've seen ones built from a steel frame with plasterboard walls and PVC exterior cladding. Ugly.
Regards, NT
On 15 Feb 2004 14:21:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

And yet the majority were not built like that.
MM