Thermostatic controlled hot water to be mandatory on new builds/renovations soon.

Page 2 of 4
David Hearn wrote:

Yet another Loony Left idea by a acareer politicain who can't add up.
The energy cost of making all those thermostats will exceed the energy saved over even the next 50 years probably.

It's a safety issue, not an energy conservation one. Think of the children! ;-)
Christian.

children!
This snotty uni one is sick. He see only a pound note. He was on about getting rid of old people as they cost to keep. How sick! Those people fought a war for a system which we enjoy. We should be grateful for what they did.

I think the accepted no-one-will-dare-counter-this-daft-idea incantation is, "If it saves just one child..." :-)

children!
is,
These did: "But the Housebuilders Federation says the government has already made too many small amendments to the building regulations."
You appear not to like preventing children and old people from being scalded.

Just pass a law saying that people must always run cold water first, job done.
Zane.

too
Yes, oh yes. Oh what a good idea!

snipped-for-privacy@albert.wilson.st wrote:

And employ a plicemen in every bathroom to make sure it happens.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and call them Building Control Officers... ;)
writes

In Singapore there is a $200 fine for not flushing the toilet - how do they police that ?.

--
Andrew

snipped-for-privacy@albert.wilson.st wrote:

What's the recomendation these days for hot and cold? When I were a wee un and asked why the hot tap was on the right on our bath but on the left in the kitchen I was given a reasonable explanation. The hot tap was furthest away for safety in the bath and cold was on the right in the kitchen as it is the most used and we're right handed. Surely in amongst all the regs there must be something that covers this?
--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

In the UK, the hot tap should always be on the left. Whilst I'm sure putting the hot tap on the right for safety was well meant, it is more likely to cause an accident than prevent it as someone will reach for the normal cold tap and get a blast of hot. Every bath, sink and basin in every house I've ever lived in has had them the correct way round.
Christian.

putting
cold
I've
fill
< Snip babble >
Get a one lever tap.

writes

Which is guaranteed to scald people

--
Andrew

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:59:42 -0000, James Hart wrote:

Hang on you just said right bath, left kitchen. B-)

Quite kitchen should be hot right as you'll be filling the kettle held in ones right hand (assuming no south paws) so to avoid having to cross arms the cold should be left (hence hot right).
In the bathroom the dominate right hand reaches for the right and thus the cold tap.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yup, I was told standard is right=hot left=cold (which ties in with what Christian says) so that's how the kitchen was done. However, here's where it gets interesting, our bath was parallel to the wall so the hot tap was put furthest away as a safety thing, the bathroom sink was done to match so upstairs and downstairs ended up opposite ways round.

All I can say in my parents' defence is that neither me nor my sister ever scalded ourselves on the hot taps so something must have worked OK. I would say though that I have a mixer tap on my kitchen sink and it's to the left of the bowl which means that as you swing the arm round to fill the sink you can't actually reach the tap itself without putting your arm directly under the spout, good job it isn't hot=right otherwise I'd be in the doo-doo. I wonder if any thought went into designing the setup like that. Anyone for front/back oriented taps?
--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk
IMM wrote:

Not at te expense of impovershing the other 400, no.
Think of it as evolution in action. One stupid kid with stupid parents dies, so that many others may propser and benefit from a better life.
I can see how you might object, tho, in any other society but this, you would not have got this far, without some accident happening to you.

too
My God! My God! Have you missed the clinic this week?

IMM wrote:

You appear to like nannying people. By all means encourage thermostatic mixers, I am in complete agreement with your arguments, I just don't like compulsion, and you, of all people, should oppose MORE building regs, MORE planning.
Steve

A silly comment.

Building regs and planning are two very separate issues. Taking your argument, we could be fully third world and not have any regs at all for anything. Now one wants over-regulation, but some things are just common sense. They are introducing this reg as many people are being unnecessarily scalded. From a financial view, we pick up the bill via the NHS, and if they are incapacitated for a long time we also pick up the bill. A sensible valve on a CH/DHW system is neither here or there. Nanny state? My God! They are only implementing them on new and renovated property and naturally they will catch on in existing houses too.