Thermostatic controlled hot water to be mandatory on new builds/renovations soon.

Page 1 of 4
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3371197.stm
Seems the Government is planning on requiring all new builds+renovations to put thermostatic controls on hot water supplies.
Must admit, this may actually be a good idea - though I wonder how many scalds are actually done through baths/taps/showers rather than boiling liquids. Aren't these controls adjustable though? So what stops someone from turning it right up to the hottest setting, or do they have an overall max temp?
To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.

Ouch. Does that mean hot baths are to be banned?
My hot water is thermostatically controlled, but set to 60C. I keep meaning to put another TMV on the basin to limit to 40C. It is only used for handwashing, so hot water there is a pain.
Christian.

From the cylinder, combi, heat bank, etc, two lines can be run. One at 55C for the kitchen tap, dishwasher, washing machine, and one with a blending valve set to 43C or there about. Just set the temp at the cylinder.
The problem is legionella. Storing water over 60C kills off the bacteria, so blending all the water down at the cylinder to 45C ish is no problem. The only problem is that a washing machine on hot washes will use the electric heater more as the water will not be hot enough entering the machine.
The problem is mainly in the baths, with little children jumping into very hot baths. A thermostatic mixer is the answer here. Screwfix do a bath/shower mixer for 160. You can set the bath as well as the shower water temp.

That's generally marginal these days, since the majority of textiles require only warm washes and the detergents are specified accordingly. Water consumption is less than it used to be as well.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

There's no point in doing that. The only outlet I want at 40C is the basin for washing hands and shaving. It would be better to put the TMV there locally. There is a long tortuous run to the heat bank, too, so I don't want to have two sets of pipes losing heat. Also, when I get out of the bath, the basin taps are still hot, so I can shave without waiting.
43C would be no good for my baths. I like them hot, but need to get accustomed. I get in when it is half full at 40C and then just leave the hot tap on until I can bear no more. 43C would not be able to raise the temperature. Even 60C is marginal...
Christian.

You like 60C baths? 43-45C is the recommend temp for baths.

Nah. They probably end up around 48C. However, I need to get in when they are 40C and then increase the temperature. That requires much hotter water to mix in.
Christian.

Having that Srewfix bath/shower mixer ensures that the water entering the bath is the right temp. No need to play about, just set the thermostat and turn on. I relative of mine was badly scalded as a child by jumping into a very hot bath before the cold water was added. Scalding from a normal hot water system is a very real thing. It happens every day. That is why the government, quite rightly, is implementing this law. Another good law by Tony. Great guy!

Which is why advice when running baths for children or elderly is to always, always, put cold in first. Should be common sense, but that is something not in vogue these days, when someone else can be blamed for not preventing another's mistakes.
If the BReg changes end up saying "there must be a device to enable the temperature of water from taps to be limited" then this is good. People with children and elderly can set it at a sensible level. If it starts specifying the maximum temperature that is allowable from any tap in the house then this is needlessly draconian.
I wait and see, but knowing this government's desire to eliminate all risk from life by use of the nanny state, I don't have too much hope for sensible & proportionate legislation.
-- Richard Sampson

Even if you like your baths at 43-45C, you still require much hotter water to mix in. (Or you empty the bath and refill as it cools).

43C is about right for a bath for most people. Setting the thermostat to 45C will compensate for any heat loss. The faster the fill up the less the heat loss.
Note: combi's should be set to approx 45C, not 60C as most people have them.

You do your washing-up at bath temperatures ?
--
Welcome to the jungle. Please observe our laws.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Higher, as the dishwasher has higher temperatures.
People with combi's tend to thing the DHW thermostat knob is a power knob. It will not increase flow if set higher than necessary.

IMM wrote:

Now who is regarding his fellow man as an ignorant peasant then?
Ther is also the implication that poeple who buy combis are stupider than average....Hmm. One could develop that line of thinking ...
Time you started voting tory, you know it makes sense.

It makes sense to demented people.

IMM wrote:

Well there you are. Perfect sense.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:41:45 -0000, "David Hearn"

Good quality shower valves such as Mira, Aqualisa, Grohe,... have limiting mechanisms in the form of a peg or equivalent to prevent the valve being turned too high - e.g. above about 45 degrees.
Some also have a detent and a little button and won't go above 40 unless you press the button to release the valve to be turned further.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Why can't bath taps have a stop on them (as described for showers below)? That would be a solution that will give both camps the temperature they want.
Anyone know any taps that do this???
Peter

Most top makes have thermostatic bath mixers. They are not cheap. The Screwfix one I mentioned has this and also a shower attached too.

Depends on the range the valve has. Some have a narrow temperature range. Once set people don't tend to mess with them.