The reasons why windmills wont work...

Shrug. Actaully I am using less energuy and paying more overall for it. But don't let facts get in the way of opinion, will you.

A quick glance at the commodities pages shows that Oil is now $104 a barrel..less than two years ago it was 'will it stay over $50?' I have to pay more not because I am using more, but becase a few billion chinese are using more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would certainly produce a much greater visual intrusion, it would also be an enormous waste of money and resources as few would produce much if any electricity, certainly not enough to stay alight (at a very low level) for more than a few hours of darkness in winter months.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Neither do I but if it's there I see no reason why it shouldn't be done economically.

You seem to like numerical exercises so how about working out the watts per mile in the lighting of one side of a well lit 3 lane motorway and from that what length of lit carriageway is the energy equivalent of a car travelling at 70 mph.

Would it help of hinder your calculation if I equated 70 mph to 50 bhp as a rough measure to get you on your way?

Reply to
Roger

Theres some out near Coldham near Wisbech they are always turning every time I've been there, around once a month...

Reply to
tony sayer

Oh yeah, and the fact that the infrastructures and economies in both those countries are in tatters - thanks largely to our governments' actions - has *nothing* to do with it, does it?

---

---

Reply to
Francis Turton

They certainly don't need to make a noise.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That'll be the greenwash motors! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Most by products of reactors are the same and are not decay products but caused by bombardment of the structure with high energy rays and particles.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, BUT thats not what everybody gets worked up about is it?

It's those 50K plus year half life heavy elements.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They certainly do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats a pretty slow rate of turning though Tony. Cant be producing much ;-)

Hmm. I cant think how to punctuate that to remove the ambiguity.

I see a subthread developing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Afghanistan didn't have a deal of infrastructure to start with actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure how powerful the sodium lamps are, or what spacing they have..

I'd dispute that. Plenty of 50bhp cars can get to 90mph these days...

Besides, without lights, most cars/drivers would have to slow down a bit anyway.;-)

I think the fastest I have been on an unlit moonless night is about

110mph. And frankly that was pretty scary. Whereas 140mph plus is easy on a lit motorway.

Ok heres a reference.

for the wrap. Anyway it looks like 250W lamps about every 20 meters or so.

Assuming that the car and the electrical generator are working at the same sorts of efficiencies..they will be to a first order, thats 1/3 bhp per streetlamp, so 50 bhp is 150 motorway lamps or about 3km.

Say one car at 90mph (cos that's what everyone does on a motorway thats empty at night) is using the same amount of power as 2 miles of one side of the motorway.

Not sure what that proves, but there you go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The thing *I've* never understood is how Windy Miller gets past the swishing sails without getting his head knocked off, week after week after week?

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

In message , at 20:00:45 on Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

So why do they? The two 5KW turbines at Ruddington Park can be heard from several hundred feet away. 5KW !!! That's less than you need for one home.

Roland Perry

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

The 50 bhp was my estimate of what the typical car would need to travel at 70.

If the road was crowded maybe bur not surely if they were travelling at a legal speed in this country even in a dreadful jalopy. My first car was a 1939 Rover 12 which had the nearside headlamp permanently dipped and the offside out when dipped. Now that was a bit hairy doing more than 70 in the face of oncoming traffic on crappy single carriageway roads like the A5 in the West Midlands.

I have no experience of driving at 140 mph, day or night, and I don't like driving at night these days but ISTR that 70 mph on an unlit dual carriageway mixing with other traffic still feels slow, even if it doesn't feel as slow as 70 in daylight.

one wonder about the supposed advantages of private enterprise over public enterprise. Surely anyone with a profit to protect should have wired in a manual switch rather than wiring the lights permanently on and had the tea boy turn the lights off on his way to work and on on his way home.

There is a lot of motorway lit through the night where the traffic density is that low. All that lighting is a conspicuous waste of resources. Nearly as bad as lighting the M40 right through the day.

It is sometimes bandied about that road lighting should only be one when there is someone around to benefit from it but sodium lights seem to take a long time to warm up. They might be suitable if the lighting was for pedestrians but is there any efficient form of lighting that would spring to life fast enough to light the way for a fast moving car?

Reply to
Roger

I should have thought that reasonably clear..

After all why would I want to go 2 Wisbech more than once a month;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not so. The heavy metal, long life stuff is a product of fission *and coal*. Fusion produces different wastes with shorter lifetimes.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Having lived through the fiasco of British Standard Time I'd like to see GMT as standard throughout the UK. I live in the UK but not Scotland. I didn't like the mornings being dark until after 9, and nearly came a cropper as a result.

Reply to
<me9

The one (2.5 MW) I listened to had a ping as well when insects came in contact with the blades. Hoever, a couple of hundred metres away all you could hear was the wind whistling in the hedgerows.

Reply to
<me9