The House the 50s Built

Why not?

First one I had was in California and lasted no problems the 11 years I had the house (it was there when I bought the place). Just shove the stuff in and no farting about pre-rinsing the plates.

I do notice that contemporary DWs are designed so that all cups and mugs put in the upper shelf, fall over. The US one was much better in this regard.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In the _utility_ room? Whose idea was that???

Reply to
S Viemeister

Still got a fully working Hoover Constelation (the giant ball which floats on a cushion of air). As bagged cleaners go, it's pretty darn good too. They were prone to losing suck with age due to wear of the sealing joins, but that hasn't happened much to this one. It's 1950's, but I don't know the exact age.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Think it's quite a bit later than that. '60s? But they were good - needed a large motor to hover so had plenty suck. Not sure the hover idea worked well, though. Depended too much on the surface it was on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Duh? Because it's in the utility room, not the kitchen. To be useful, they really want to be close to the kitchen sink and the cupboards where the crockery/glasses/cutlery is stored, otherwise it just becomes a chore to use.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Er, mine - it was the only spare bit of space and was already plumbed and wired, she agreed to it being there lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Its still the case... my friend's mum is still waiting for a "new" refurbished one - refuses to countenance an automatic!

Reply to
John Rumm

alt.binaries.multimedia has a 720p copy

Andy Bartlett

Fairy nuff. OK - so move it - GET ON WITH IT BOY DON'T JUST SIT THERE!!

Reply to
Tim Streater

OK - so where's the washing machine? If that's in the kitchen just swap 'em over.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Just wait for the repeats then:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Usually in the country they moved to.

And you can blame both Tim and myself for introducing two legal immigrants to the UK (that's one each not two each).

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And does it annoy you that women always bang on about the pain of childbirth and period pains?

It does not annoy me when they do that.

But that's because I never listen to a word they say:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Oh, dear. That wasn't well thought through, was it?

Reply to
S Viemeister

You could go back for a second now though... (although I expect it would cause Tim ear ache if he tried it!) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Definitely 1950s, but it stayed in production well into the 70s.

From

in 1954 in the USA and 1956 in the UK, [...] The Constellation was made even flashier in 1958, when a fixed metal skirt was fitted to the bottom of the machine, enabling it to literally float on a cushion of its own exhaust air.

Reply to
Andy Wade

and from my experience you need none or two, since one is invariably full of clean plates, and then you have to quickly remove all these to do the next load.

Or you do what many commercial premises do and have more than one set of baskets and storage mounts for them . Remove whole basket of clean crocks and put in cupboard Sometimes you need a place to put the basket so things dry first depending on type of washer or how it is used.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Tim Streater was thinking very hard :

Washer/ drier is alongside the dishwasher in the util. The kitchen is a cooking, dining, general living area so we don't like noisy appliances in there. Util is just next to kitchen and has its own sink, the washer, dishwasher, freezer and a bit of extra cupboard space and also forms a drying area with dehumidifier and fan. Just beyond it (through the back of it) is large pantry area I created. She lost her pantry in a redesign 30 years ago and I got that much ear ache due to its loss, I then converted a disused coal storage room into a pantry accessed through the back of the util. She tends to stock up as if the third WW is due to start next week lol

Prior to my converting the coal storage into a new pantry, it was used as a storage area for garden implements, until a large hut was bought. I just bricked up its access door and made a new door leading directly from the util.

The fan combined with dehumidifier work brilliantly by the way, for drying clothes and much more economical than using the drier.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

All these appliances can be run overnight, no need to do it when you're actually occupying the kitchen area.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater explained :

True, but she prefers lots of storage to appliances in the kitchen and as the kitchen is part of the main house noise would still be a problem during the night. The util + pantry part is a single story original extension on the rear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield