The backing of the fire surrond

is just one huge tile and I need to cut out a square opening for the gas fire.

What cutter blade should I use on the wizzer?

TA

Reply to
George

What sort of tile? What is it made from?

Have you had your biccy and nap before you got this idea?

Reply to
EricP

Ceramic,like I said one huge tile which is about 1/4" thick thereabouts.

Idea? it was my sister who bought the darn thing with a poxy MDF surround,funnily enough the plinth is marble. What an odd combination.

Reply to
George

Tricky. If you use a small angle grinder with a stone blade you could freehand an opening. There is a (big) chance that any twist or bump as you go will shatter the tile.

That's the best I can think of as DIY without a BIG tile saw - I've seen radial-arm tile saws that would be OK if you could plunge them, but prohibitively expensive for a one-off.

Take it to a professional?

Doesn't the damn thing have instructions? Where did it come from?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

All sounds very odd. I can't imagine a single tile like this being meant for this purpose. Are you really sure it's (a) a ceramic tile and (b) if it is ceramic, is it intended to be cut (ie not just left intact as a decorative piece?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cicero