That Aldi cable access kit

anyone who has purchased this confirm for me the build of the hook end accessory?

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether to thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with

9m). Sadder still, my nearest store is out of stock so I had to go to the next one to get it, and go back to replace it :-/
Reply to
fred

Bought mine from ebay, cheaper than Aldi and alls fits together fine. Could you return it and replace via ebay?

I bought a "Bulldozer Broom" from Aldi several years ago (the first year they had them, I think) and the bits didn't fit together properly. They changed the design in subsequent years. Although Aldidl are generally good, they do sometimes source lemons...

Reply to
mike

Mine's got the flexy M->F thing, the hook end and *two* largeF->smallF barrels which attach the end to the rod, but I'm missing the ring end :-(

All my rods are fine.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy, between us I think we can work out what the kit should contain.

I think you've come off worse, the ring end (actually just a rod sized barrel machined flat and with a hole drilled in it) looks far more useful than the hook. Sure you can tape on a leader but that's not the point.

Think I'll take a wander over tomorrow to swap it.

Reply to
fred

Not to worry, not your fault and I'd rather have it in it's present state than have nothing at all. Unreserved thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
fred

I'd definitely go back. If nobody does their suppliers have got away with shoddy QA. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I popped in as I went past today and swapped it for another (quite a few left) of course I kept my "spare" barrel :-)

Their "stripped back" customer service model is left a bit wanting when it comes to doing an exchange ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I went in again today and swapped it too but it was a few miles each way, still, it's nice to have it right. Bet you lose both your barrels by way of divine retribution ;-).

Ha! I spoke to the security guy to start with, got the replacement ready for swap and then had a hissy fit when he suggested I should join a huge queue to do the swap. Manager appeared and did the swap (I think they have to approve exchanges anyway).

Reply to
fred

My set seems all fine ;-)

Though I was expecting the 'ring end' to perhaps have a split ring wounted within the hole in the brass flat. I'll probably add one of those myself.

I'm rather pleased with this set, expecially for the price. I can understand the carrying convenience of a 300mm long set, but that seems pretty inconvenient to me for having to thread so many rods together. Lett threadss to come undone, as well...

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Yes, the number of times I've "made do" with a net curtain spring, or a jumbo ty-wrap made me think it's worth having one around, I can think of one job getting an extra cable across the kitchen ceiling too ...

Reply to
Andy Burns