Tap seal thingy

Under taps there's a wafer like seal thing that stops water from leaking under the sink/bath. They're useless - just rot away. I've no idea what their "official" name is nor can I find them anywhere. It must be possible to buy them? If not, what's the best solution? Sealant would look a mess and not last very long. Very irksome :)
--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
Sneezy wrote:

Unscrew tap. apply clear silicone, screw tap down lightly and remoce surplus with white spiirit.
Later on, screw dwon tight.

possible
Or plumber's mait, scrape off excess, job done.

Don't forget to throw away the rubber washer they supply to go under the nut, and which stops you tightening it up enough to stop the tap swivelling :-)
At the risk of sounding like viz a handy tip is to cut a few mm length of 22mm plastic pipe (so you have a ring) then cut this ring (so you have a C shape) and slip this over the tap threaded tail to help centre the tap in the hole it's going into: they generally fit "like a turd in a shirt sleeve" (as I believe the correct technical term goes :-)

I'll have a go - see what I can do. It's starting to look like the tap's kapput. It drips but not consistently. Taps feel too free in their turning. Water leaks from the joint where the swivel head joins the rest of the tap. It also looks like the cold water tap leaks too. Don't think much else could be wrong :) The joys of a new home huh. Suppose it's be expected with rented accommodation.