Swapping meter tails - no consumer fuse

Page 2 of 2

Sounds to me like a back-to-back service - your next door neighbour probably have your cutout :-)
It`s not something you will be able to solve without "official" assistance I fear...
Where in the country are you ?
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Al) wrote in message

Thanks to everybody for all the responses so far - I'm going to go through them carefully and have a rethink. Actually, just buying the insulated screwdrivers started me rethinking rather seriously.
Of course I was wrong: the electricity company fuse(s) will be in the green metal box at the top of the supply cable as Lee suggested. I was confused by the installation in my previous 30s house which had a separate in-line fuse in the live tail.
I have already moved the rubber cables (they didn't crumble) to a new CU running off a 30A fuse in the old one. My rethink is to leave both CUs in place until the end of the job, replace the cables to the new CU, and then finally replace the original CU with a split CU for all circuits - and probably get the electricity company to sort out their bit while they cable me up (ie it won't be ME with the insulated screwdriver).
Thanks again. Al.
On 28 Oct 2003 02:58:44 -0800, Al wrote:
<snip>

That sounds very much like an old 30A rewireable fuse, which all Electricity Boards (pre-privatisation) had a programme for removal. Whilst you may now be fairly happy with what you're doing, I would still contact your local distribution company and tell them you think you have an old rewireable main fuse, and could they please inspect and replace it if necessary.