Super Glue - Removal!

Hello!

My wonderful fiancee in her infinate wisdom decided to fix a decorative wall sign of my sons for his bedroom wall - with superglue. It worked great!... however she left it on our kitchen worktop to dry, and you guessed it, the superglue dripped and went on the surface!

I have have a long ridge of superglue along the worksurface which is one of those face marble effect ones. I'd like to know if superglue really is super or whether there is a way to dissolve/remove it once it has set? We are replacing the worktops in the future, but not for quite a while and it is rather unsightly!

I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with superglue and dissolves it, as other people must of have worse superglue horror stories where body parts become attached etc!

Anyway, any advice would be greatfully recieved!

Merry xmas

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

Acetone according to

't see how you couldn't find that yourself)

Reply to
LSR

But make sure the acetone won't damage your worktop!!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Can of Spray Pipe Freezer. Spray onto Superglue Wait for around 10 secs and chip it off carefully

Reply to
Robbo

Reply to
andrewkirkham

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

Reply to
R D S

As someone else said, acetone, you can get it from a chemists.

Nail polish remover might do the job.

Rick

Reply to
R D S

Piece of piss. New razor blade or similarly supersharp tool held at a low acute angle, slight sawing action as you slice through it. May need a few passes gradually going down to worktop level. I use this technique on any flat surface including my el cheapo laminate worktop.

Reply to
visionset

If only there were some way of googling the internet ...

Reply to
LSR

If you need to use this technique often, you should be more careful with the superglue!

;-)

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

If only we could exist outside Google. It isn't the be all and end all.

Reply to
R D S

Super glue isn't waterproof

Reply to
zaax

No, but water won't soften it.

Acetone sponged on, or poured on will tho.

It MUST be acetone, Other cellulose solvents wont touch it.

Get from fiberglass sully places like

also works..but its pretty hard to come by.

You can buy debomnder at model shops..and its allegedly very good, but I got a pint of acetone for the same price, and it definitely works..unglued my favorite jumper anyway.

Watch out for fumes..very dizzymaking and mega headaches if too much inhaled. No permanent after effects tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher