Suitable Paint for PVC Waste

I've just replaced my bath waste pipe where it is fixed to the outside of the house as it was literally crumbling to pieces. I now need to paint the pipework black, and was wondering what paint was recommended for this type of application. (I'm thinking that the reason it was crumbling in the first place was because the previous occupier had painted the pipe with something unsuitable).
Mike Hall wrote:

I've never done this, but this question has come up quite a few times in the past, and the consensus seems to be that normal gloss works just fine.
--
Grunff

Yup. I painted a new grey stack black to match the rest of the guttering etc, and simply used gloss direct - no primer. Gave it a good clean first with sugar soap. It outlasted any of the woodwork, etc.
--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Grunff wrote:

(i) it was probably UV light that killed the original
(ii) the key is getting a key onto the plastic. You may find that something like a solvent that attacks the plsatic, wiped over the surface, will roughen it up to get a good bond. You can get such as 'solvent weld' type stuff. It smells pretty much like cellulose thinners, so a possible approach might be to use car cellulose prmers sparyed on (use a bit of board behind the pipe to avoid sparing the wwall) and then followed up with a spary coat of car matt black or whatever.
On 13 Feb 2004 16:01:19 -0800, mike snipped-for-privacy@peppertree-broadcast.co.uk (Mike Hall) wrote:

[T] I know it's too late now but I've just done similar job with a basin waste and used black pipe & fittings on the outside?
All the best ..
T i m