Stone wall!

When trying to drill into a wall in a new bathroom, I've come up against a solid stone wall behind the rendering and instead of going to a depth of

7cm's I can only penetrate 3.5cm's.

The holes are needed to secure a ceramic wash-hand basin which is a little heavy. Is there any type of drill bit around that could cope with this stone or, failing that, what do you suggest I use in the holes as they are?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Not so Slim Jim

I have (some years ago) successfully used Hilti Drill bits in hard stone and concrete. With a suitable hammer drill.

I'm sure you can hire Hilti percussion drills and bits from good Tool Hire companies...

Andy

Reply to
ac1951

You don't say what type of drill you are using.

I would think that a SDS drill and a decent bit would do it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

What are you using to drill the wall a bog standard "hammer" drill or an SDS one? A normal hammer drill will struggle in stone particulary with a large hole (I suspect you are talking a 10, 12 or maybe 15mm hole for basin fixings). Try drilling a smaller hole first and then progessively larger bits rather than going in one attempt.

An SDS drill on the other hand is almost "a hot knife through butter". Should be able to go straight into stone at 15mm with little bother, through it does depend on the stone...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thank you guys. Looks like a trip to the hire shop then. Yes it is a 10mm drill bit that I am using. Will have to buy a decent one to go with the drill.

Reply to
Not so slim Jim

Depending on how much drilling you do in walls and as yours appear to be stone rather than lightweight block or brick it may be worth getting an SDS drill, they really do make light work of most holes.

If going that route make sure that it has hammer stop and rotary stop. The later means you can use it as a pneumatic chisel for cutting channels, tile removal etc etc.

From the hire shop route I'd expect to be able to hire or have included the size of bit you need.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

SDS drill and appropriate bit - won't even notice the stone ;-)

John Rumm

Where do you connect the air supply?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It does not need one. The pneumatic bit referees to the pneumatic linkage between a cam operated piston and a sliding hammer assembly.

If you look at:

41 translates a rotary cation into a reciprocating one, this moves

32 the cylinder, and 30 is the hammer that rides inside the cylinder and is pneumatically coupled to it.
Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John, I had a quick look for an "How SDS works" description but couldn't find one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice