steel capping for FTE cable

Needing just 2 pieces today, was surprised to find: not in Screwfix Cat; not stocked in Homebase or Wickes; and limited stock in B&Q. Only plastic except B&Q & even there most was plastic.

Q: has there been a change in the rules for its use or common practice?

My preference is galv steel as it seems to me to give the best protection against penetration by drawing pins or whatever.

Reply to
jim

None of which are an electrical wholesaler.

I'd like some steel oval trunking. Never seen any though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My local Wickes carries it.

Reply to
RubberBiker

My house has that for runs to the light switches. It was built in 1931 though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Toby

If you check steel metal holders, you might find a suitable oval. The problem is when you start to need bushes or grommets - you might be able to match size with PVC offerings.

Corus did investigate whether there was demand, but they decided domestic demand would be too weak & industrial demand non-existent. Now they would probably argue BS8436 makes it redundant - although prices are still a bit ridiculous and full reels only (think Cleveland is =A3110-135 for 1.0-2.5 when RS is only about 10% higher). BS8436 is much tougher to work with than traditional FP or FTE cables.

Steel capping does not provide much (if any) real protection, and the cables should be in zones anyway unless "earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346, BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436" in a domestic environment. BS8436 can be useful where you have sloping roofs (lofts, kitchens, old buildings) as it solves the "no horizontal 150mm ceiling zone".

The DIY store PVC capping & oval is often very brittle and shatters easily - trade outlet stuff has more plasticiser.

Reply to
js.b1

Not sure if *steel*, but oval metal wardrobe rail?

Not BS'd for electrical use though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain