Steel baths

I need to replace a standard-sized, white steel bath, like for like....

Can anyone tell me of sources at competitive prices in the Guildford area ?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

B&G Heating, now renamed City Plumbing, list a wide range of steel baths and have a large branch at Godalming.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If it's broken then you obviously need to replace it but if it's just lost its shine or is water stained, why not have it resurfaced instead. We've just had ours done for £200 by

and it's come up a treat - just like brand-new.

John P.S. Just re-read that you're in Guildford so he's no use to you - sorry :o(

Reply to
John

I brought a standard steel bath for under £100 last month!

Reply to
Robin Mayes

Suspect he meant cast iron, not steel.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Suspect he meant cast iron, not steel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks all,

Whilst I was waiting I phoned up two local (large) plumbers merchants, expecting to be disappointed, but was actually amazed when one quoted "£121 inc VAT" and even more amazed when the other quoted £107 inc VAT - this was for a 1700mm steel (not Cast Iron) bath. An

1800mm one was approx £100 more !

I did have a Cast Iron one done about 2 months ago, it cost £150, and I agree it came up like new - excellent !

I will check the Godalming outlet as the destination is a flat in Milford... thanks for that link

Thanks again to all

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I can get Kaldewei Steel baths for =A355!

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I can get Kaldewei Steel baths for £55!

That's good - what could I get them for ? Nick

Reply to
Nick

Dunno, but I paid well under 100 quid for mine and it was very nicely finished. Much nicer than plastic.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes - I know steel is nicer than plastic, which is why I posted my request for a steel bath....

One of the places I could get it from is where you got yours from - do you know where you got it and could you tell us please - or is it a special price for you only because you qualify for a concessionary price ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick

No. I got it from B&Q. I'm sure it could have been obtained cheaper elsewhere. (I paid a lot more than 55!)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think I am missing something here - snipped from your earlier post was a line that you can get a Kaldewei Steel bath for £55 - What I was trying to discover was where, as this seems a good price and I assume (perhaps wrongly) you are recommending these as a good make.

However, you go on to say that you got yours from Band Q for a lot more than this, so I am wondering why you didn't go for the Kaldewei option ?

I have located (at a Plumbers Merchant) options from about £83 ..........

Nick

Reply to
Nick

That was posted by snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Rob Morley

We got a nice steel bath from Homebase for =A350, but only because we were buying a whole bathroom suite plus another loo and basin. We said we would wait for the next 10% off day but were offered a deal to buy on the spot (he must have been a double glazing salesman in a former life). This was done by marking the bath down by =A350 to give us the equivalent of 10% off the whole order. The salesman said he could only do it as the bath was in stock, so I assume he fiddled the system and sold it as shop soiled.

So, if ever you need to buy anything in Homebase, ask when the next 10% day is and mention you can get something very similar from B&Q and they may be prepared to deal.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It all came about because you replied to me, not the person who paid 55 quid. I got my Kaldewei bath from B&Q for somewhere between 55 and 100 (I can't recall exactly, probably in the 80-90 range somewhere). I recommend them as a good make.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We got a nice steel bath from Homebase for £50, but only because we were buying a whole bathroom suite plus another loo and basin. We said we would wait for the next 10% off day but were offered a deal to buy on the spot (he must have been a double glazing salesman in a former life). This was done by marking the bath down by £50 to give us the equivalent of 10% off the whole order. The salesman said he could only do it as the bath was in stock, so I assume he fiddled the system and sold it as shop soiled.

So, if ever you need to buy anything in Homebase, ask when the next 10% day is and mention you can get something very similar from B&Q and they may be prepared to deal.

MBQ

Thanks for the tip ! We do have a large Homebase near us but I only generally go in there for a laugh as their prices are generally so high compared with just about everywhere else...

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I got mine from a merchants in Holloway, North London. If you know the place it's just on the right hand side as you head down to Holloway High Road from Archway, before the hospital. I suspect they are still the same price. I'll check and also check the name and address of the place, my Father discovered it on his travels. It's pretty much a Cash & Carry type place and they don't do any kind of internet or mail order. Obviously if you're nowehere near there then it isn't worth the hassle.

The ones I have bought have been the 2.3mm and have been suffice but you can also get the 3.5 mm steel ones if you feel it makes a difference.

Reply to
daddyfreddy