Stanley Wallpaper Edger 4 10 230

I'm a bit of a sucker for wallpaper cutting gadgets, tried loads, none of which work that well, always went back to the old score with scissors & cut method.

Spotted this in B&Q this morning when I went in for some paste,

by Stanley, under £3 so I thought I'd try one out - today's job being some wallpapering.

Absolutely brilliant! Couldn't believe how good it was, fast, dead accurate, easy. Used it for top & bottom trimming, around sockets and best of all trimming a full length of paper into a corner.

The nifty bit is that, as soon as it shows signs of tearing wet paper instead of cutting, you snap off the blade to get a new razor sharp edge. I hung 16 lengths of paper trimmed top & bottom, trimmed into three corners, cut around about 9 sockets, switches etc - and only snapped off the blade about 5 times.

Best thing I've bought for ages.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pffft! bought one of these

the edge in a wall knife sharpener...then all you do then is flatten wallpaper to skirting level and tap the blade into the wallpaper at top of skirting and it cuts a clean straight edge.

George

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How does it differ from a normal snap off type knife? The angle maybe?

Reply to
stuart noble

Cut an X where the wallpaper is level with sockets and light switches then back off the switches/sockets and hide the wallpaper behind the switches/sockets then srew them back to wall. :-)

Reply to
George

Take the switches and sockets off, hang the paper, cut around the 'hole' and refit the switches and sockets!

Or, just use the point of the blade!

Amateur - posing as a professional aren't you Dave?

T'o

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Interesting. I've always used one of those curved French camping knives and a wall sharpener with a plasterers trowel for the straight edge (I like the big handle!)

Reply to
stuart noble

Oh dear its that bitter, jealous old fart again...

You can't help being a failure, try to live with it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You use the bottom edge (blade retracted) to push the paper tightly into the corner, then 'tract' the blade and run the thing along the cut line. The shape of the botom edge holds the paper flat and into the corner while the blade trims it.

It isn't a snap off knife, just uses the technology of a snap off knife. Hard to explain until you use one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a smaller one with a wooden handle but can't remember where I bought it? same again I sharpen it in a knife shapner,once you have it razor shap you just tap into the wallpaper and it cut a real sharp clean cut.

Reply to
George

I'll get one. Tearing wet wallpaper has been pissing me off for years

Reply to
stuart noble

yes, but it *is* the quickest and easiest way.

Reply to
stuart noble

tis brilliant been using one for years but you need to snap the blades of quite often or it will still tear

Reply to
Kevin

No need to take them off, just loosen them and cut a hole a bit smaller than the switch and slide it out through the diagonal, then smooth the paper down and tighten switch.

Reply to
dennis

You brush the paper down, run the back of the scissors along the edge, pull the paper away and trim with scissors and the smooth it down.

Knives are for doing overlap joints not trimming.

Reply to
dennis

Yep, you're right, Dennis, knives are for overlaps. Wallpaper should always be trimmed to carry over the corner.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

To each their own method Dennis....after all we are not professional decorators.

Reply to
George

I've got a Harris wallpaper cutting guide. Magic if you like dead straight cuts rather than wibbly ones that follow the contours of the skirting top or ceiling. Still need a good sharp knife but it's much better than using just a knife.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite cutting around switches/sockets or other removeable/losenable fittings is what a quick in out, cut the as many corners as possible, "professional" or an amateur does. If I employed some one to hang wallpaper and they did that they would be doing it again at their expens= e or I'd only be paying 50% of the quote less the costs in my time (at =A320+/hr) and materials to do it properly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice