Square twists - any comments/experiences?

I was looking at joist hangars today for a low-level deck and read in a review the recommendation to use 'square twists' with them:

They seem to be highly rated but they're not something I've come across before. Has anyone here used them before and can comment on pros/cons?

I am assuming they are simply hammered in, and the square-edge twisted shank is what stops them coming out again?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

the recommendation to use 'square twists' with them:

before. Has anyone here used them before and can comment on pros/cons?

is what stops them coming out again?

They are quick and cheap and with the zinc coating should easily outlast any sort of timber in damp conditions.

Reply to
newshound

They are the "standard thing" to use with joist hangers. They have heavy galvanisation to prevent corrosion, easy to drive, and hold very well.

Pretty much, yes. You don't want a nail that can work or pull loose over time. Remember to nail all the holes in the hanger as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

eview the recommendation to use 'square twists' with them:

I've come across before. Has anyone here used them before and can comment on pros/cons?

square-edge twisted shank is what stops them coming out again?

Yes you hammer them in. Don't expect to get them out:-) If the timber is very hard or there is a knot it's a good idea to put in a very small pilot hole. You really want galvanised ones for use with galvanised metal.

You find them used for corrugated iron roofing sheets too, only thinner and longer ones with a big head.

Reply to
harry

I've since been wondering if I might be best with screws given it gives me dismantling/adjustment easier in the future?

Of course, quite why I'd want to do this I'm not sure yet but if there's one guaranteed method to find a reason it's to use a fastener that's difficult/impossible to get out!!

Reply to
Mathew Newton

IME it would be very time consuming with screws - they would also need to be fairly dinky. Also note that most screws these days are case hardened, which is a less ideal property for this application.

Reply to
John Rumm

Has anyone here used them before and can comment on pros/cons?

Yep; I used them for my floor joists ten years ago, no problems, none have loosened since. Last year, I couldn't get any locally for my ceiling joist hangers, so used ring-shank nails and filled every hole on the hangers (as I did with the twist-nails). I doubt they'll come out anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

the recommendation to use 'square twists' with them:

before. Has anyone here used them before and can comment on pros/cons?

is what stops them coming out again?

Used them whenever I have used joist clips or timber joining straps ... yep simply hammered in ... However as they are quite short and you are up against side of joist ... hit my thumb with hammer more than once !

Reply to
Rick Hughes