Square bar

Where can I get 5/16th square bar?

I want 4 inch lengths for my door handles. I tried the local flea markets b ut had to pay £5 quid for two door sets so far. I already have the handles.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Peter Parry

dennis

Key steel from any bearing company.

Reply to
F Murtz

ISTR there are "imperial" and "metric" ones (8 mm?). One way round doesn't work.

Reply to
newshound

ts but had to pay £5 quid for two door sets so far.

Thanks to all. I never thought they might sell them separately. Glad I aske d now as the B&Q ones are £2.13 for a pack of 2 guaranteed for an year.(? ) And

allows me 8 of them for £3.05.

I think these will last a lot longer than a toothbrush handle. Not that I a m claiming a toothbrush handle would have lasted an whole year had I decide d to make do with it. It's odd that I can't be bothered to fix my own doors when it is my profession. I've lived alone too long I think.

I doubt there will be much difference with the dimensions except as regards length. I am going with the longer ones as I have an hacksaw and believe t he more purchase the handles get on the bar the better they will errrmmm ha ndle errr... things... ahem.

I know you can leave them too long and make problems for yourself but most locks are standard sizes these days and have been for a long time. If it tu rns out they are that old that the spindles won't fit, I'd be a fool not re placing them too. (I put another one on the back door because the one below it was a problem but it turned out the frame wanted easing back.) As it happens I need mortice catches and they are cheap enough at Wilkinson 's just down the road. They will be the right size on my interior doors wha tever. Cheaper than these

as a set of three is only 7 quid.

Thanks again to the two posters above who woke me up.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer