Source for a washing line pole?

Hi,

I am seeking a very long pole (scaffold even) to fix a washing line on. I am aware that b and q and homebase and argos and maybe even wilkinson supply poles, but those are too short.

I require one that is maybe 8 metres or more in length. I want the washing up out of the way!

I will try, if I can find one, an independent diy shop, however, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
de_ja

Thats the mast on a fair sized yacht.

Its about as tall as tehridge on this hous..

Try a ships chandlers. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , de_ja writes

Ring round your local scaffolders. I had 2 x 6m galvanised poles for 15 quid (delivered). Mind you, all the pulleys, guide ropes etc for the actual line, and hire of a 2 man post hole borer + 2m bit cost a fair bit more :-)

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

In the interests of your edification ...

That sort of pole has a proper name and around this way it is called a promp. My grandad told me about an old boy called Prompo who used to sell washing promps around the streets of Norwich for a living and got irate with women if they wouldnt buy one

Edification over. Where is Prompo when you need him?

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

8 Metres long!! Are you planning on hanging your washing out by using a pogo stick ;-)

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

lmao you all, i got no sense of length, i just want a high washing line like my neighbours

Reply to
de_ja

2.2 meters is enough. 3 meters is more than enough.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

8 meters high??!! That's about the height of 5 blokes...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Eight meters is rather high - rather higher than our house!

However, our local timber yard sells proper one-piece washing poles, not those silly jointed things Wilkinsons sell.

Failing that, your local steel stockists.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In message , de_ja writes

[snip]

:-)

Our 6m poles have approx 1.5m underground. I look around the various gardens at the back of the house, and this height seems to be about the norm with a fair few of the neighbours.

SWMBO was insistent that I put them up and is adamant that the washing dries a lot quicker "up there". I guess that above the fence line etc it probably is a bit windier.

You *will* need those various pulleys and ropes though. Someone

Reply to
somebody

But it travels further when it blows off!

Reply to
<me9

Apparantly so but are you sure you are replying to the correct newsgroup!! ;-)

John

Reply to
John