Soundproofing between flats

Can anyone recommend what I can put down on the floor between two flats in order to reduce sound levels? At the moment sound carries between the two flats and I believe there's some sort of 'sound' board I can put down. I'm also thinking of putting a laminate floor down in some rooms and I'm worried that this will make the carrying of sound problem worse.

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
ScoopeX

Many leases explicitly forbid anything other than carpet due to noise reasons. Although not a great fan of wall-to-wall carpet, myself, it seems like a good idea for flats.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

An old technique was to put trays of sand between the floor/ceiling joists. Obviously the joists have to be able to take the weight. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

An old cottage I once worked on had egg boxes filled with crushed cockle shells between the floors to deaden sound, it worked well.

Reply to
Ian_m

I believe there are a number of products on the market designed for this. Here is one...

't know how much but probably not cheap..

Roy

Reply to
RzB

The Hampton Court fire revealed that Sir Christopher Wren had used crushed shells for this purpose 300+ years ago. I stand to be corrected but would guess that shells have a fairly porous surface which probably does a much better job of soaking up sound than mineral wool does.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Egg crates and loft insulation on top although you will not get rid of the sound completly due to the nature of the joist flexing as you walk about on the floor or have a washing machine on the go.

Reply to
ben