Some serious DIY modelling!

Our younger son (a student) bombs about the country in my wife's former car, (306 1.4 petrol) at a cost that horrifies me. Whilst my wife used it, it was doing 36 mpg. At the time purchased, it was a distress type issue, the only car we have had since '85 that was petrol. I'm paying that little blighter to roam about whilst I think about the cost! Kids!

Since I started this, my elder lad wandered in wanting advise about buying a house that he is almost committed to - progress!

I'm seriously concerned when she takes her car (206cc D) to do the shopping which seems to be doing 46 mpg (I have logged all fuel for our vehicles from the early 80's) whilst mine (a Focus 1.8D with 157k on the clock) does 51 mpg. To be fair, hers has only done less than 9k and not run in yet. Fortunately, it does have several regular blasts of 300 miles to visit the wrinkly so hopefully will avoid glazed pots.

Is there a significant difference in mpg between the Ford 1753 and the Ford produced whatever capacity it is that goes into Peugeots and Fords these days?

Reply to
Clot

:)

Reply to
Clot

which makes you look an even bigger prat than before. Aeronautical engineering is 90% physics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its the driver.. I get over 50mpg around town from a 1.7CDT astra, the wife gets less than 45mpg. The smarts show an even larger differential between drivers.

Reply to
dennis

You really are as thick as others have said. Irony obviously isn't a strong point with you.

Reply to
The Wanderer

It was just that you used the term street furniture. I hate that term for road signs. Try sitting/resting/sleeping on one.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Question for for you...

What would prevent a Hawk trainer aircraft from spinning in flight? It was designed as a first jet trainer, by the way.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

generally an adequacy of fin area.

Wont stop a spin, but makes it a lot easier to get out of.

Its more complicated than that, but that's the most basic reason why fins exist on planes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The question wasn't posed so you could jump in.

Or couldn't you work that out? There *that* question was for you.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Oh I thought you actually were interested in teh answer. Silly me!

I could, but again, my mistake was thinking it was a serious question: Sorry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If he had wanted an answer he would have said what sort of spin as it is different for each type.

Reply to
dennis

I was lucky to better 20mpg with my Sharan (VR6)

Diesel C-Max (1.6) is almost 50mpg

Diesel Fusion (1.4) seems to run on fumes from the car in front.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Describe how many types of spin there are.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Are you claiming there is only one?

Reply to
dennis

First TNP lets Dennis off the hook by answering the question and now Dennis has adopted his usual obfuscation mode to avoid displaying his ignorance.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

What ignorance? Its obvious that the vertical surfaces are what get you out of a flat spin, if they aren't good enough then you can have a parachute fitted. I know they were tried on some planes but I don't know of any planes which have them in service.

The B2 doesn't have a vertical stabiliser BTW, I know how the function is performed but maybe you want to tell us how?

Now what about spins on other axises?

Reply to
dennis

Your stock in trade.

Why? I don't claim any expert knowledge in aeronautics.

Do tell.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

No!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Neither do I, just some physics. Enough to understand how a plane flies and to ignore childish questions about tails.

Reply to
dennis

I have a pilot sitting next to me watch die hard 3 ATM, do you think its worth asking him?

Reply to
dennis