Some interesting heating factoids

We have had the main UFH turned down to 14C as that is enough for rooms we don't normally occupy. The upstairs heating has been almost entirely off. because the bedroom we use has wood burner, and we only run upstairs heat for when we want hot bathrooms.

we have an Aga on an internal wall between the kitchen and the dining room.

The kitchen is at 18-20C. The dining room is at 14C. The living room is beyond that and is also at 14C. Dining and living room are semi-open plan with a large passage between them about 7ft wide.

The bedroom above the kitchen is a 16-18C.

The bedroom above the dining room (only two outside walls, and a lot of leakage via the door and wall; from the 'hot bedroom' is at 14C.

The bedroom above the living room is at 12C.

What surprises me is that even with a carpet, insulation, and some insulation board, the interface between downstairs and upstairs seems sufficiently leaky to keep upstairs at really almost inhabitable temperatures relying solely on the ground floor UFH.

I thought I would pass this on, a those who say 'I like my bedroom 2C cooler than living space' can more or less (if the floors are not massively insulated between), get that sort of differential with downstairs heating only, if the insulation elsewhere is up to snuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[about house temps]

Our house is generally warmer this winter due to new uPVC windows and cavity-wall-insulation.

However: the north wall (upstairs) is built of stud-work as they didn't want to improve the foundations (that part of the house used to be single-story. AFAIK, the walls are 9" thick with plasterboard on the inside, chipboard on the outside, covered with paper and lathes on which tiles are hung. The gap is insulated with cotton-wool or whatever it is (don't ask me :-) so all should be peachy.

But - during the resent weather, we had a howling north wind which hits that wall full-face, and by morning it had distinctly chilled that part of the house. Is that inevitable with that type of construction or should I be doing something?

Reply to
Tim Streater

This place does quite well. With the heating on the hall gets to 19=B0C.=20 The heating goes off at 11pm, and we sleep with our bedroom door shut=20 but the window open[1]. By 8am the hall is down to about 13=B0C when it's= =20

-10=B0 outside. Obviously our bedroom is quite a bit cooler, but that's=20 what duvets and the wife is for.

[1] Keeps the old cat out (otherwise she treads on your ears at 5am) but=20 allows the young cat in (via the window, which at nearly 23, the old cat=20 can't manage).

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Yes. I live in a first floor flat :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

you will always get more heatloss in a wind.

But you can reduce the effect: sealing the cavities that are filled with the 'cotton wool' will help a lot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[...]

Mmmm, yes, I was afraid of that. We're having a side-porch put on that wall which will require removal of a whole load of hanging tiles. I'll inspect then to see if anything was overlooked during construction.

Reply to
Tim Streater