solar garden lights

Can anyone reccoment some solar garden lights that actually do give off some light,i bought some cheapies from buy and queue and i should have just set fire to a tenner and saved the journey,i dont mind forking out for some good quality as it is a lot easier than laying cable etc,thanks folks

Reply to
leedsbob

? If its dark, and you need lights, it doesn't seem that solar energy will be available..

Well that goes for solar just about anything.

If you are cruising in the carribean, maybe there is enough to charge the emergency radio batteries, but in the UK in winter? forget it. A couple of watts a square meter if you are lucky.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The ones we use - and all the ones we've had from different sources - don't light other objects - but that's not what they're for. They're for marking routes and hazards such as paths and kerbs.

In our case they mark the position of guy ropes on tents and caravan awnings to prevent people tripping over them and they do an excellent job.

We also use one inside a tent or caravan during the dark hours to give sufficient light for when we have to get up.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try a clockwork torch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These things are rather constrained by the laws of Physics. Unless you have massive photocells you need a *lot* of sunshine (or good daylight at any rate) to charge up the batteries to drive the lamps when it's dark. The better ones manage a bit of light in mid-summer, but this time of year - forget it!!

I don't know whether anyone makes any which use LEDs to produce light. If so, they might have a *bit* more of a chance.

Reply to
Roger Mills

All the solar garden lights I've seen use LEDs.

Reply to
LSR

In message , Roger Mills writes

I've mostly given up on the cheap ones I bought from Homebase several years ago but they use two LEDs each. One was still managing a faint glow for a couple of hours yesterday evening.

Reply to
Si

Ours all have LEDs.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Maybe the *all* do in that case? But they're *still* pretty useless - at any rate, ours are!

Reply to
Roger Mills

It depends what you want them for. We're happy with ours and there re no alternatives.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dismantled a non working one for a friend. Yes, its a small LED and a Ni Cd cell (probably the cheapest the manufacturer could get !). I didn't particularly investigate the charging configuration but memory says it wasn't anything more than a resistor. So as others have said, in winter you're going to get b****r all anyway and in summer you'll get enough light to show where the lamp is until the cell gets fed up with the crude charging (and discharging!) arrangement and stops working.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

We've been using ours for about five years. LEDs ARE small ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

plenty do, they are still hopeless. Even those that work moderately for a short while in the lighter months soon fail due to float charging poor quality batteries.

Reply to
John Rumm

I take it you keep them turned off or in the dark for a fair amount of the time though?

Most NiCds won't survive 1800+ crude charge/discharge cycles - even decent cells on a smart charger will have a job.

Reply to
John Rumm

We turn them off when we're not using them - of course. Shouldn't ALL electrical equipment be turned off when not being used? It makes all kinds of sense - even for little old me.

? They work from small built-in solar panels!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Except that when you *do* want them, you won't be able to see them to turn them on 'cos it will be dark!

And if you *do* know where they are in the dark, you don't need them anyway!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The vast majority of "install and forget" garden lighting applications will require they are left on 24/7 however.

I thought it may be worth highlighting that your usage is hence not typical.

Solar panels are not terribly effective at night. Hence they are used to charge a battery which then powers the light when activated by a dusk/dawn sensor.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got one still one working after 4 years. maybe it's going to pack up this year

Reply to
zaax

It's very rarely so dark that you can see nothing at all.

It takes a lot of skill to light proof a photographic dark room thoroughly.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm sure that last remark must have *some* relevance to solar-powered garden lights - but I can't think what!

Reply to
Roger Mills