Smeg dishwasher hose

Hi

I need to replace the hiose on my new Smeg dishwasher (hose was punctured by a nail) but looking inside the hose clips on to what I assume is a pump right in the depths of the machine.

Does anyone know if there is a technqiue to this, or should I just call an engineer? I'm resonably adept at these things (honest) so don't mind a bit of spanner work, but don't want to bodge it all

Cheers Richard

Reply to
richard

A good bodge is to cut it through the damaged part, insert a piece of copper pipe and fasten with hose clips.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Rob Morley writes

Doesn't work very well with the corrugated plastic drain pipes.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Agreed - I was assuming supply, not drain. Would solvent glue and a bit of plastic pipe work for the drain?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Been there done that not very well. I think the problem is 22mm copper pipe is the not just the right size, just too big, I think the pipe was about

20mm diameter. I crushed and cracked a waste pipe on an old washing machine and tried this bodge. I bodged even more by applying liberal amounts of silcone sealant, bad move as the acetic acid given off attacks the copper, even though the bodge was water tight. Also suffered as the reduce bore at the copper pipe collected gunk.

Anyway a replacement standard 1.5m or 2m hose was only about £2 from a plumbers merchant (B&Q price was about £10), undid back panel of washing machine, released jubilee clip holding old waste pipe onto pump, flooded the floor with left over water, attached new pipe (+bit of fiddling to get through metal work) and machine worked fine for years.

Reply to
Ian_m

In article , Rob Morley writes

I managed to do it with a plastic coupler and hot-melt glue, then covering the joint with self-amalgamating tape.

But the bore constriction presented by the coupler meant that food scraps, particularly grains of rice, would clog the pipe eventually and I got fed up and did what I should have done in the first place - bought a complete new pipe.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I have a pipe already. It seems as though the fitting on the Smeg is unreachable with any adult male hand. Is there something I'm not understanding about how to fit the pipe, I wonder?

Reply to
richard

In article , richard writes

I had to lie my Hotpoint dishwasher on one side (on a towel) to get at the pump and pipe fitting. Access from the service panel under the door was next to impossible.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson