Slightly OT - Strength of glass coffee table

We have one of those coffee tables which is basically a piece of glass sitting on a steel frame, and I'd like to get an idea of the maximum weight it can safely support - but I don't know how to work it out. The glass is only point supported in 4 places, where it sits on 30mm diameter metal pads which are epoxied to the glass and sit on the frame (they have a peg which locates them). The glass is 1200*660*12mm and the supports are at the edge of the longest sides, 220mm in from the ends.

Any ideas how to work it out, or a reasonable guess as the maximum weight would be helpful - I might want to put a TV on it... ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

It may take a full grown adult. Obviously you don't watch that sort of films so you can't compare if it's the same or not :-)

Reply to
Mike

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:22:10 GMT, Lee strung together this:

Weigh the TV, then gently lower it onto the table. If the top shatters into millions of bits then you need to find something lighter than the TV. ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

I'll take that as a no then? :)

Lee