Slightly OT - Sky Card

The DIY connection is that I recently aquired a Sky dish and digibox from an emigrating (or more accurately repatriating) French family. This I have fitted/setup with help from this group.

My question:

I am obviously now a Sky user, who is unknown to Sky! I understand that after a certain period, the viewing capability of the current card will elapse (or be curtailed by Sky). The previous owner had been a subscriber but cancelled the paid subscription prior to leaving.

Does anyone know how long these cards will function after cancellation of subscription service? Can I get a perpetual viewing card from Sky, even though they don't "know" me? Is there a less "official" work around to maintain service?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yes, either get a Sky subscription, or get a Freesat card.

are available without the box, although you have to search the site. They cost 20 quid. They should last at least 3 years (if they last less time than this and freesat is still available, they promise a free replacement).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:17:19 -0000, "TheScullster" strung together this:

This any good to you?

Reply to
Lurch

Only the subscription services will be unavailable. The card will revert to a "Freesat" card automatically. You need to do nothing if that's all you want to watch.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)