Single RCD Consumer unit - 17th edition?

Apologies if this appears twice. Original appeared to disappear into the ether

Hi

An electrician has recently installed a new consumer unit.

The unit has 8 mcbs for the eight circuits and one main off switch. Between the incoming supply and the consumer unit is a single RCD which therefore kills all the circuits if it operates.

Last night an earth/neutral fault on one circuit resulted in the RCD tripping and no power to anywhere in the house. Since it was an earth/neutral fault turning off all the mcbs still did not allow the RCD to be re-set and hence no circuits could be used until the fault was dealt with.

Under the 17th is it permitted to do this or should there be a dual RCD board or part/all rcbos? Chapter 31?

TIA for any advice

Reply to
Invisible Man

No, single RCD setups like that went out shortly after 15th edition.

Dual RCDs is probably the minimum. Depending on the number and type of circuits more (or RCBOs) may be preferable.

Reply to
John Rumm

My unit was changed about 15 years ago and has 2 RCDs: 100mA incoming split to 30mA for the usual circuits. If a socket trips the 30mA one, the lights stay on. I don't know which issue of the Regs. were current then, but I'd mentioned to the Council about my Father not being able to move around in darkness so that might have been the reason.

Reply to
PeterC

That sounds more like a typical setup for a TT installation. Does he have power supplied by overhead wires and/or is he out in the sticks a bit?

I don't know which issue of the Regs. were current then, but I'd mentioned

16th probably

The more commonly encounter comparable installation for non TT installs would have been a similar arrangement but with the 100mA RCD replaced with a simple switch.

Reply to
John Rumm

I am the OP and have a TT installation. 1960's house in a road with mostly 100 plus year old houses and a 15th century pub (old coaching inn).

Reply to
Invisible Man

A split CU with 2x RCDs would be a good option then. Same brand so you can move the MCBs over. Whole house on one often works, but does risk total loss of power.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks. Even just the single split will mean not all the lights will go out and we can use lights plugged into the power circuit on the floor without lighting. Also means we can run an extension lead to the fridge and freezer if necessary. Perhaps the price of mcbos will nosedive eventually.

Reply to
Invisible Man