Shows how thick council

Because the tips are not open when needed (evenings) because you have to carry the bags up a flight of steps to get into the bins, because the tips are too small and overcrowded at weekends, because the average larger vehicle is too high to get in, so you have to carry the stuff even further, etc. etc.

It has always seemed to me that the council don't want to help people get rid of rubbish.

ps I have just got back from taking a trailer load to the dump, and everything had to go in the right bins, it really was a pain in the arse !! (but personally I shall still go to the dump rather than fly tip.)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

round here there is a long waiting list and a charge of ten pounds for up to three items.

Reply to
mrcheerful

same situation for me, but they check vehicle regs of any vehicles they suspect are from the wrong borough.!!

Reply to
mrcheerful

"mrcheerful ." typed

Round here, it's 3 free collections per financial year. Phone up, wait about a week, leave on property boundary and bobsyeruncle.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

|The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: |>>Why don't they simply phone the council, who will come and take it |>>away "free"? |> Thats an easy one, because they don't want to wait a fortnight or council |> will not take non-recyclable items. | |Or because council charge ?18 a go for everything except fridges and |old-age pensioners.

Ouch! So that is what you plan to do with the OAPs like me, Dump them with the rubbish. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'm not surprised if it was only every six months.

Wonder what it costs to clear up fly tipping of 'domestic' stuff that would have gone in that skip if it were more frequent?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In most parts of Northern Ireland you can actually phone the council and they will come out and pick up the rubbish (incl old fridges, mattresses etc).

However people *still* fly tip. Worst is around some of the scummy neighbourhoods near Belfast city centre where the residents dump their junk over the wall and onto the railway line below. Near me, they dump it into the handy river. Out of sight, out of mind seems to be the way of it.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Round here (Telford) the staff at our local dump are very helpful, even with stuff that's clearly not worth going through to look for goodies! They've helped me shovel rubble out of the trailer, heave wood into the wood skip, turned a blind eye to the odd nice bit wandering out of the metal bin etc.

The bastards up at the Granville site are utterly unhelpful and so rude you'd think they were running a sweepstakes

Reply to
Guy King

Council dump, helpful, does ... not ... compute.

Sounds like Tunbridge Wells.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Tim S writes

I think they have a set of *rules* to try and eliminate commercial waste.

E.g. 2 wheel trailer=OK 4 wheel not etc.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:09:35 +0100 someone who may be Tim Lamb wrote this:-

I hope he has taken it up with his councillor. If they are in opposition they would probably like to make use of it, if they are not in opposition they will probably want to sort out the problem in case it is taken to the local paper.

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , David Hansen writes

St. Albans? The Gorilla's armpit of the South-East? They can't even control the cost of re-juggling the high street paving:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Upon my soul another skip has emerged. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Upon my soul it went at 1:30 this afternoon, surely the council are wasting valuable money here? We're not talking 1 or 2 skips here where talking(so the letter states) 644 skips in the liverpool area.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby