sealing skirting boards what to use?

What is the best stuff to use to seal the gap between the skirting board and the floor?

I had some clear silicon that I used but that is finished and I have to get something to finish the job.

Should I still use silicon or is there something better?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Decorators caulk. Squirt in with gun, smooth with finger/tool - wipe off excess with wet cloth. Caulk is over paintable - silicone isn't.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've found caulk to be too inflexible for this sort of job. Nowadays you can get modified silicones that are paintable eg:

fred

Carpet.

spamlet

Squirt in with gun, smooth with finger/tool - wipe off

Oh-er missus.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , spamlet writes

Absolutely guaranteed to give you fetching black edges to the carpet from all the dirt in the underfloor blown in on the draughts.

Reply to
fred

I agree about the black edges - determined not to have that again. I used rolled up newspaper then a cheap silicone. Paintability didn't matter as the carpet covers it.

Reply to
John

Well I specifically fitted the skirting to take the carpet, and to make floorboard lifting easier.

I also leave the skirting fixing screws as features so that I can quickly remove it for easy sanding and varnishing - another wonder made possible by power screw drivers. There simply is no way for any draught to get past the carpet when the skirting is used to hold it down. You guys must have very threadbare carpets!

spamlet