Seal flaunching after bargeboard replacement?

I'm replacing the barge boards of a concrete tiled roof. The flaunching is rock solid and would be difficult to remove from the tiles so I'm intending to put a bead of mastic between the flaunching and the new barge boards to seal the joint. The problem is that there are some hairline cracks in the flaunching at right angles to the barge board edge.

the cracks occur at the narrowest points where the tiles step. I don't know if I can rely on finding some kind of paint-on sealing solution to fill these cracks, as it waterproofs the rest of the mortar, or whether to carefully enlarge and dovetail the cracks so that I can fill them with mastic more effectively. Any advice on this?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The hairline cracks are due to the suction in the tile batten end drying out faster than the cement bed between the tiles

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Best way is to rub a little smear of clear silicon into the airline crack

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Best way is to rub a little smear of clear silicon into the airline crack

Reply to
Kipper at sea

I think its high time you stopped flaunching those poor seals.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That seems to make sense. Thanks. So, for future reference, sealant on the batten ends before flaunching would help prevent the effect.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

With a hairline crack, it's not going to penetrate very far. I did find this stuff yesterday:

may be more suitable, especially if I can find it available locally.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

If the tile battan isn't cut back far enough from the edge of the gable or verge, the result is a hairline crack. After about 10 years the end of the tile battan slowy rots

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Thanks, that's very useful info for future reference. Meanwhile this roof is 25 years old, but the state of the battens is only going to be guessed at, with any luck.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack