SCSI HD replacement.

I have a 360 Systems Short Cut. For those interested, it's an early self contained audio editor and play in device. Ideal for TV and stage etc music and sound effect play in. Cost a fortune new.

Decided to use it the other day, and got the clicking of death from the HD. It's a SCSI Seagate ST34520N - small by today's standards at only 4.5 GB.

Now I could be wrong as I only have the user manual for this device, but I think only the programme files are stored on this - the OS is on ROM.

There are used correct HDs available but are pretty expensive - so wondered if I could use an SSD plus adapter? There's lots of space inside so the mechanical fixing wouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would be surprised if a SCSI system cares about the size of the drive as long as it is large enough as I think they are just addressed by sector. You might well be able to use a larger drive without it noticing.

I have a box of old SCSI drives. You are welcome to have one or two for the cost of the postage - once I have copied off the contents and erased them.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

SCSI to SATA or whatever probably costs more than a SCSI disk

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OOI, have you tried quickly rotating the machine (if that's possible) in the same plane as the drive rotation (not direction particularly) just as you turn the power on? Not a 'fix' but might get you out of trouble for now?

Feck!

Do you have any idea how 'fussy' the capacity is, as long as it's at least 4.5G, 3.5" and (narrow) SCSI etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've got a number of SCSI 9GB drives ex Compaq servers you are welcome to have if its any use. They were serviceable when removed!

Reply to
Peter Parry

The answer is I don't know. ;-) I only have the user handbook for the device which doesn't give any repair details.

That's very kind of you. I'll get back to you if I can't find a modern replacement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Peter Parry escribió:

They're probably SCA, 80-pin wide SCSI. Dave's ST34520N disk is 50-pin narrow SCSI; to use a SCA disk he'd need an adapter and therein lies black candle and sacrificial goat territory.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's even worse than the used one I've found on Ebay for 100 quid. ;-)

I dunno. The handbook doesn't give details. I've never got anywhere near the existing HD's capacity despite having left the material from dozens of TV progs on it. I never erased anything - except for rubbish. Luckily have everything backed up.

Of course these days a laptop could do everything that this does. But the user interface - controls etc - are very easy to use, compared to a keyboard and mouse or touch screen. It's the sort of thing you could give to a novice to use for playing in sound effects - so handy for an amateur stage manager.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - wide ultra SCSI 3 it says

Reply to
Peter Parry

En el artículo , Peter Parry escribió:

They can be used on a narrow controller, but an adapter is needed and you have to pay attention to termination, as SCA devices don't include any integral termination.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In most cases you can hack the firmware tables to make the drive report a smaller size. I did this for my VAXstation 3100.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've bookmarked this post just in case I need anything for my ML360 which I intend to revive. I believe I'm fairly local to you.

Reply to
AnthonyL

John, are they the same as the one I have - 50 pin? If so I'd like to take you up on the offer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If not, I probably have some 50 pin SCSI drives floating about...

Reply to
John Rumm

Most of them should be 50-pin. I will have a look this evening and let you know what I have. Copying the data off the disc collection has been on my Round Tuit list for a few years. I've got as far as installing a PCI-e SCSI controller in an HP Microserver, so I'm all set up to do it.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

50 pin = 'narrow' SCSI (so that answers that bit). ;-)

If you don't end up with anything I've probably got one you can have (and I'd just have to drop one in a SCSI tray and format / test it via the Adaptec diagnostics).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Dave,

I have 3 x ST32550N (2.15GB) and 3 x M2949SYU (9GB)

Both types are 7200rpm narrow SCSI-2 with a 50-pin connector.

The M2949SYU drives are taller than the ST32550N and run quite hot - so much so that I fitted small fans to them.

As far as I remember all the drives were working when they were retired (a very long time ago).

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Did you get my email, John?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I did eventually. I only look at that email address a few times a year. It's a "throwaway" account to catch spam.

I will reply shortly.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker