Screws with threadless part of shank

Hi
Some screws have no thread up near the head.
I've never given this much thought until recently when I realised that if you're fastening a sufficiently thin skin (sufficient meaning less thick than the clear shank length) to the timbers below then you get the same effect as drilling a clearance hole in the skin and putting a screw through, namely that the skin is pulled in nice and tight.
Is the intended function of the design, and does anyone know of a supplier of such screws in something like 50mm with a 20mm clear part, which would be ideal for fastening flooring chipboard nice and snuggly?
TIA IanC

Sounds good . . .

Dunno, maybe consider: Screwfix: D13678 Decking screw 4x65mm D13932 Carcass screw 8x1 3/4" D70134 MDF screw 3.9x45mm
HTH
--
fred

My recommendation would be to use fully threaded screws for flooring as, if the screws loosen and they have an unthreaded portion through the board, the board will move up and down on the screw and result in a squeaky floor. Using a fully threaded screw means that the board shouldn't move (Just make sure that the board is held down firmly whilst inserting screws.