Screws with threadless part of shank

Hi

Some screws have no thread up near the head.

I've never given this much thought until recently when I realised that if you're fastening a sufficiently thin skin (sufficient meaning less thick than the clear shank length) to the timbers below then you get the same effect as drilling a clearance hole in the skin and putting a screw through, namely that the skin is pulled in nice and tight.

Is the intended function of the design, and does anyone know of a supplier of such screws in something like 50mm with a 20mm clear part, which would be ideal for fastening flooring chipboard nice and snuggly?

TIA IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

In article , Ian Clowes writes

Sounds good . . .

Dunno, maybe consider: Screwfix: D13678 Decking screw 4x65mm D13932 Carcass screw 8x1 3/4" D70134 MDF screw 3.9x45mm

HTH

Reply to
fred

Reply to