ScrewFix Airtec foil insulation

I have seen on the screwfix web site Airtec Double insulation which is claimed to be equivalent to 55mm of polystrene. Has anybody any experience of this product. I am thinking of using it under plaster board for dry lining. I also found Foiltec which might me the same stuff but cannot get hold of any technical information on either. Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Jones

I had a look at the Airtec stuff a few months ago with a view to using it instead of polystyrene for insulating a shed/workshop. The only useful info I found for it was here

to say Screwfix dont do the plastic clips or foil tape referred to in the document - I guess you could get foil tape elsewhere & use battens for spacing - it appears to need to be stretched between the studs in the middle of the void to ensure at least a 25mm air gap in front of it & behind it.

I couldnt find anyone who'd actually used it & commented on it or recommended it on Google or Google Groups so I decided not to risk it in the end, particularly as it would have cost a bit more than the polystyrene as I would have ended up with half a roll left over for my application, and it looked like it would take just as long to fit as the poly.

HTH Richard

Reply to
Richard Tibbitt

They say equiv to 55mm of foam insulation. Selfbuild and Design mag recently had an article on these radiant barriers, and found them to be falsely claiming all sorts. It is not worth it. Using tape, it will make the place air tight, that's all. So, may be worth it that way. Don't think you are going to get great insulation, you will not, if at all. Just expensive bubble wrap with foil over.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Thanks, Can you buy polystyrene on rolls and if so what thickness can you get, where can you get it from and and at what sort of cost?

steve

Reply to
Stephen Jones

It usually comes as 8' x 4' sheets - I used Jablites Jabfloor 70 in

50mm & 100mm thicknesses £9.88+VAT & £19.77+VAT each respectively (for a total order of 25 sheets - fewer sheets may be more expensive per each) from Travis Perkins - but most any builders merchants should have it or something similar.

Have a poke around here

(search on jabfloor - but watch the prices - some of the sheets are priced per square meter (M2) & are way more than you actually end up paying) to give you an idea of the the thicknesses available - although anything other than the common sizes (eg 25, 50, 75, 100) may be on a few days/weeks delivery depending on the individual merchant.

HTH Richard

Reply to
Richard Tibbitt

Hi,

If it's a narrow flat cavity to insulate, Kingspan or Celotex or similar isocyanate foam will give the best performance, they have lots of useful info on their websites.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I have seen this stuff on a housing estate going up neer me. looks like silver bubble wrap. I wonder how its supposed to work ?

Compaerd to kingspan, both have sliver, and one traps a huge ammout more air.

You can buy it on ebay ...........

Rick

Reply to
Rick