Scart

I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player to a TV which does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess that a DVD player would not have a RF output.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a teenagers bedroom and the TV is fairly basic / old

Reply to
John

get a rf modulator from Maplin

Reply to
Frank

I have just done this for a friend, going via a video recorder. The Scart output from the DVD goes to the Scart input of the video, and the RF output from the video goes to the television. You have to select EXT2 or AV2 as the input channel for the video. Obviously the quality isn't as good as having a Scart connection all the way, but it's adequate.

PhilG

Reply to
Philip Gardner

DVD players don't have rf outputs.

You lead an RF modulator, like this CVS5 model found here

at £50 +pp then you might be better off getting a good secondhand tv (or even a small new one?) You'l get a better picture too.

If the tv has phono audio/video in socket, which some TVs without scarts have, then all you need is a cable with scart plug at one end and audio/video phone plugs at the other.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

DVD players don't usually have an RF output, but DVD recorders do. The SavaCentre nearby has a DVD recorder for under 200 quid, and very good it is too. Plays all audio formats including MP3 as well.

If there is no AV input - and many old or basic TVs don't have them, then the only other option is an RF modulator - you can get them from Maplin, or from the sheds for use with a security camera - but make sure it takes sound as well. However, a cheap new TV might just be cheaper with less hassle.

It could be the TV has an AV input other than a SCART, in which case all that would be needed is an adaptor cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Many VCRs won't accept the line output from a DVD - there is a copy protection circuit involved. I'm pretty certain this is why a DVD doesn't have an RF output as standard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

try maplins. but the work round i used was to plug the dvd scart into a video recorder and use the video's rf output to view the dvd.

hope this works

Reply to
TOGGY

As others have said, some VCRs can be used to take the SCART input in and then play onto the TV via RF (as mine does (Hitachi))

Reply to
Chris Holmes

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

This is one of the reasons why I bought a new VCR while the old one still (partly) works) - DVDs hadn't been brought out when it was built.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Not if the macrovision (?) anti copy function is working

Reply to
geoff

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Unless, of course, you buy a picture "enhancer"

Reply to
geoff

The video does not "tell" the DVD player it is there as such. The DVD player will usually add Macrovision protection to its output video signal when instructed to do so by a copy protected disc (i.e. most of them).

[anorak mode]

The Macrovision signal consists of a series of vertical bright white bars placed in the video signal during the vertical retrace period (normally the video signal during this time would be clamped to the black level). The result is that the AGC circuit in the VCR will wind down the gain level in response to the white bars - This has the effect of attenuating the vertical sync level as well. The result is picture instability / rolling and flashing brightness levels since the black level sampling will be messed up along with the frame/field sync.

The solution is either a knobbled DVD player that can ignore the request to inject Macrovision, or an external box to strip the signal. Some modern VCRs also include a Time Base Corrector on their input circuits (designed to regenerate syncs when performing repeated dubbing operations). These will also strip anything else floating about during the sync pulses that you would rather not have.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not with my Hitachi it doesn't. The macrovision (Copy protection) is still there, and you can't record, but playback is fine.

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Hello John

Not directly (at least, not mine - more expensive ones may have a coax out) - but if you've got a VCR, or possibly even a skybox or maybe a scart -> Coax adapter (they exist?) then yes, you can plug it into that and then through the TV.

Reply to
Simon Avery

That's strange, as the copy protection works on the VHS circuitry, rather than just in record. I've tried it with several makes, and they all do it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Skybox is a good option if you have one. I have a DVD player connected to the VCR socket on my skybox and use the RF2 output to distribute via coax to a portable in the conservatory. Works very well. Of course, if you have a VCR on your Skybox already then there maybe nowhere to plug the DVD player...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

What signals does the video give to the DVD player to tell it its there? Our little one's DVD player (don't ask :) is SCARTed to her v.old Amscrap twin-deck video then RF'd to the old telly - lovely picture out of it too.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

In message , Chris Holmes writes

Not true with mine (Phillips)

Reply to
geoff

Ah, right. I was reading the original message arse-about-face and thinking that somehow the DVD player detected the presence of the video, not that the player was adding copy protection because the disc was asking it to!

Note to self: pay more attention after a day's DIY-ing :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy