Scart

Page 1 of 2
I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player to a TV which does not have a Scart socket.
As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess that a DVD player would not have a RF output.
Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a teenagers bedroom and the TV is fairly basic / old
--

Regards

John

and
get a rf modulator from Maplin

I have just done this for a friend, going via a video recorder. The Scart output from the DVD goes to the Scart input of the video, and the RF output from the video goes to the television. You have to select EXT2 or AV2 as the input channel for the video. Obviously the quality isn't as good as having a Scart connection all the way, but it's adequate.
PhilG

Many VCRs won't accept the line output from a DVD - there is a copy protection circuit involved. I'm pretty certain this is why a DVD doesn't have an RF output as standard.
--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I bought a new VCR while the old one still (partly) works) - DVDs hadn't been brought out when it was built.
--
Chris
-----

Not if the macrovision (?) anti copy function is working
--
geoff

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:14:49 -0000, "John"

DVD players don't have rf outputs.
You lead an RF modulator, like this CVS5 model found here http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?Hash !9&dept_id2
But at 50 +pp then you might be better off getting a good secondhand tv (or even a small new one?) You'l get a better picture too.
If the tv has phono audio/video in socket, which some TVs without scarts have, then all you need is a cable with scart plug at one end and audio/video phone plugs at the other.
MJ

DVD players don't usually have an RF output, but DVD recorders do. The SavaCentre nearby has a DVD recorder for under 200 quid, and very good it is too. Plays all audio formats including MP3 as well.

If there is no AV input - and many old or basic TVs don't have them, then the only other option is an RF modulator - you can get them from Maplin, or from the sheds for use with a security camera - but make sure it takes sound as well. However, a cheap new TV might just be cheaper with less hassle.
It could be the TV has an AV input other than a SCART, in which case all that would be needed is an adaptor cable.
--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

try maplins. but the work round i used was to plug the dvd scart into a video recorder and use the video's rf output to view the dvd.
hope this works

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM (TOGGY) wrote in message

As others have said, some VCRs can be used to take the SCART input in and then play onto the TV via RF (as mine does (Hitachi))

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.
Christian.

Unless, of course, you buy a picture "enhancer"
--
geoff

Not with my Hitachi it doesn't. The macrovision (Copy protection) is still there, and you can't record, but playback is fine.

That's strange, as the copy protection works on the VHS circuitry, rather than just in record. I've tried it with several makes, and they all do it.
--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Mine's OK too. I bought a DVD and the only free SCART was an a/v input to the video. I can play back DVDs through the RF output of the video with no problem.
I also have a freeview box with two SCARTs, one to the TV and one to the other a/v input of the video. I have now discovered that if the video and the freeview box are turned off (actually standby mode) the SCART output of the DVD is looped through the video and freeview box to the SCART input of the TV even though it's going the "wrong" way between the video and the freeview box. I didn't know you could do this.
Andrew

A Scart is both in and out for composite video and stereo audio. It's only if you go to RGB or S-Video that it becomes an in *or* out for video.
--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Not true with mine (Phillips)
--
geoff

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:10:47 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

What signals does the video give to the DVD player to tell it its there? Our little one's DVD player (don't ask :) is SCARTed to her v.old Amscrap twin-deck video then RF'd to the old telly - lovely picture out of it too. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Witchy wrote:

The video does not "tell" the DVD player it is there as such. The DVD player will usually add Macrovision protection to its output video signal when instructed to do so by a copy protected disc (i.e. most of them).
[anorak mode]
The Macrovision signal consists of a series of vertical bright white bars placed in the video signal during the vertical retrace period (normally the video signal during this time would be clamped to the black level). The result is that the AGC circuit in the VCR will wind down the gain level in response to the white bars - This has the effect of attenuating the vertical sync level as well. The result is picture instability / rolling and flashing brightness levels since the black level sampling will be messed up along with the frame/field sync.
The solution is either a knobbled DVD player that can ignore the request to inject Macrovision, or an external box to strip the signal. Some modern VCRs also include a Time Base Corrector on their input circuits (designed to regenerate syncs when performing repeated dubbing operations). These will also strip anything else floating about during the sync pulses that you would rather not have.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:07:18 +0000, John Rumm

Ah, right. I was reading the original message arse-about-face and thinking that somehow the DVD player detected the presence of the video, not that the player was adding copy protection because the disc was asking it to!
Note to self: pay more attention after a day's DIY-ing :) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs