Scale of scale

Working in an office block today; "our water heater doesn't work, could you have a look".

One of those instant 'make a cup of tea' things that delivers boiling water. Heatrae Sadia Supreme 140 - holds 2.5 litres of water.

that power & water were going in, noticed a customer helpline number inside the cover.

Very helpful. Explained the situation to the guy on the phone. "Its scaled up" he said. Told me to take the top off the tank & remove the scale.

Never seen anything like it before, sheets of the stuff coming off.

shows the amount of scale removed, not including the 60-70mm covering the element in the bottom. Apart from the manual removal, I used 3 sachets of descaler to get it clear.

Didn't realise until now they are around £570! Worth the repair cost.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wouldn't do much for that level of scale but I have had good results in kettles boiling Jif lemon juice - which is cheaper in bottles than in squeezy lemons, and a lot cheaper than descaler sachets.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

> Checked that power & water were going in, noticed a customer helpline

Another skill you've learnt of financial benefit to you. Thanks for sharing. Water not so hard round here!

Reply to
Clot

You might find it worth investing in a 2kg tub of Fernox DS-3 Its far better than the supermarket descalers, and makes up to 100 gallons of the stuff for about £15 - £18 a tub.

Reply to
John Rumm

just about anything acidic works. Boiled rhubarb leaves being my mothers old standby..

Depending on what the thing is mae of, a gallon of brick acid often works wonders. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nt

We have two of those at work and they regularly need cleaning/repair. It ususally seems to mean some bit being taken away. AFAIK this is by heatrae themselves or some approved repairer.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q