Sawdust

I am hopefully going to be after sawdust shortly.

Any places likely to give it away? (Have yellow pages and thomson directory at the ready...)

Is there an established market for it already or will there be plentiful amounts to scrounge?

Reply to
mogga

What do you want it for? Many years ago in harder times I used to get sawdust for my wife's guinea pigs from a local workshop where they made bespoke window frames mainly from softwood but some hardwood.

I stopped because we were getting high levels of miscarriage and birth defects. I never established whether they were using treated timber, I just stopped using it.

They were happy for people to take it away, though.

Reply to
newshound

Did changing sawdust change that?

thanks

Reply to
mogga

I think bulk sawdust is used for making artificial logs for stoves and fires. So big firms may well sell theirs on. However small woodworking places should still be O.K.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You can come and clear up the sawdust under my firewood saw. About 15 years worth. Can't guarantee no treated timber but most of it is Oak.

My workshop dust extractor bags are nearly full but part of that will be planer shavings.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Wow! Don't spose you're just down the road from me though ... :)

Reply to
mogga

IME it's not good for any animal cages due to the high amount of dust that they're inhaling 24 hours a day.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

In message , mogga writes

Not unless you are anywhere near Hertfordshire:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sadly not! Thanks for the offer though :)

Reply to
mogga

Good point although to be fair quite a high proportion was planer shavings and they didn't do much sanding.

Reply to
newshound

Yes

Reply to
newshound

Good!

Reply to
mogga

Used to be all over the floor at our butchers shop but I understand its now both a fire risk and a health hazard....

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

probably isn't a fire hazard once it's soaked up a bit of blood.

Reply to
charles

It used to be over the floor of a pub I knew.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

One of our livery horses is bedded with what appears to be chopped/dust extracted straw.

Mogga discreetly has not ventured the application....

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It was on Ch5's Eddie Stobart programme once - a truck full of sawdust for animal bedding.

Reply to
Part Timer

I did. Composting loo!

Reply to
mogga

In message , mogga writes

Ah! Another brain cell missing:-)

Presumably there is a wide spectrum of decay bacteria doing the work. Someone somewhere must know how vulnerable they might be to the rather feeble chemicals in modern treated timber.

Something wrong with earth closets?

Tree surgeons have disposal issues with chipped material and I have occasionally arranged for a free load to be used here as path mulch.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My contact recommends contacting tree surgeons - or someone with a log burner who cuts their own wood! I've just got to find the yellow pages now. The BT book is useless!

Where do we get the spare earth from? :)

We've had a couple of loads free but want some finer stuff for the bucket stuff.

Reply to
mogga