Safety Tempered glass = "toughened"?

That is certainly true.

What I might do is to mount some curtains over the panes on net curtain wire. Our bedrooms come straight onto this hall anyway so the privacy would be good (as well as the obscured glass).

In summer I would leave the bottom curtain "drawn" over the glass which will cut down on the sun's heat coming in a bit and would obscure the letters a bit.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Attempts that sometimes succeed, and sometimes dont. Too often dont for my liking. There are plenty of 100+ year old houses, before the days of BR, wh ich are fine in not all respects, but nearly all.

On the other hand it only takes a slew of senseless regs and they're workin g their arses off for life to pay for so much unnecessary expense & work. F reedom & opportunities lost. I dont give a monkey's if my ceiling deflects more than 3mm across its width, or if a partition wall frame was built from scrap. I dont mind if above head height glazing is 3mm either. There's goo d in BR but way too much waste too.

If BR were wiped out tomorrow I'd build a house in papercrete. It would hav e more insulation than any normal house, cost less, and I'd willingly bet o n it lasting - its my cost if it needs repair later.

In fact its BR that stops so much good housing being built, and so much pro gress being made. Of course it has its upside, but if it were drafted with more wisdom it wouldnt be such a drain on the nation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/. I dont mind if above head height glazing is 3mm either. /q

Who does and why?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Toughened glass has to be pre measured and treated, laminated can be cut to size

Also watch this toughened glass demo.

F Murtz

Toughened glass has to be pre measured and treated, laminated can be cut to size

Also watch this toughened glass demo.

/q

Er?? Was that supposed to be a reply to mine?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

No not really I just bunged it on the end of this discussion about toughened glass as that is what the discussion was originally partly,without taking much notice

Reply to
F Murtz

Building regs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or anyone that has found half an arm in the debris they are cleaning up after some drunk puts his arm through a plate glass shop front.

As happened to one of the service guys during my spell installing alarms for Chubb (~1972). They found the drunk standing in the queue at a fish shop half a mile away.

Reply to
dennis
/

Building regs.

NT/q

Really? ISTR that unless you are a short-arse your 'above head height' is not classed as a 'critical location' in the Building Regs?

(I'm sure you won't need a link).

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

thus it requires 4mm, unless I'm mistaken.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

thus it requires 4mm, unless I'm mistaken.

NT /q

?? Suspect you are.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I don't think laminated glass satisfies the building regs does it? (N para 1.3); it doesn't turn into lots of tiny bits if it breaks.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL