Safeguarding a cable run across an open floor.

I have to run a mains lead for a few feet across a not-too-frequently used area of the living room floor - a temporary arrangement but it might have to stay in place for a few weeks. I've searched around but can't find out if anyone makes a more stylish domestic version of that metal trunking used to protect floor cable runs in an industrial setting. Does anyone know of anything suitable? The flooring is beech laminate and I don't mind using either screws or glue to secure a covering strip. Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Since posting the question I've discovered two stockists of a hollow rubber strip designed for this purpose, though the only colours available appear to be black and light grey. I appreciate the notion of making a possible trip hazard clearly visible, but for short-term use I would prefer something that would blend in with the decor a bit better, if it exists.

Reply to
Bert Coules

On 05 Jan 2015, "Bert Coules" grunted:

Rubber stuff?

(or

tection/index.html)

There's also the tried-and-tested bodge of taping it to the floor with a length of duct tape, lengthwise.

Reply to
Lobster

Your post and my own follow-up must have happened at almost the same time. Many thanks for the link: although I would prefer something more stylish and less obtrusive, that particular product will obviously be fine if a differently coloured alternative doesn't come to light.

Reply to
Bert Coules

They're inevitbaly black and overpriced. Why not cut/route some wood, chopping it into short strips and taping together on the underside.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Of the two types on the TLC links I was going to suggest that the second was proably the better choice as the edges are less vertical and thus less likely to catch a dragging slipper. This type of cable protection is quite heavy so anything over about 4 or 5' probably won't need any fixing.

Find a suitable coloured tape (parcel tape?) and cover it with that?

When you say "not-too-frequently used" what do you mean? Is it not possible to find a route, maybe froma differnt power source, that would avoid the possibilty of the cable being walked on. Like following the skirting and/or going up an over door frames? 1" panel pins tapped into the top of the architrave at each end will hold a cable in place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave, thanks for your reply.

If that approach were possible I would adopt it, but unfortunately it is not. But at least the situation will be reasonably temporary, as I said.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Having looked at what's available, I'm coming round to exactly that notion. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Put a rug over it...?

Reply to
Adrian

Hmm, I was going to mention that rubber stuff, but I still feel they are a trip hazard as the edges do sometimes come up an trip you.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had considered that, but I'd be a little concerned about even very occasional foot traffic. I don't know how much protection those rubber strips afford, but it has to be more than just that given by a mat, surely?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Brian, I take your point: if this was anything other than short-term I wouldn't consider it. The permanent solution will be to lift the floor and install a ground-level socket at the appropriate place, but that can't happen just yet.

Reply to
Bert Coules

As you don't mind putting holes in the flooring I assume its going, so why not route a slot in and drop the cable in. From the bottom if its easy to lift.

Reply to
dennis

The honest answer is that it struck me as too much hassle for a temporary solution. But I still might, thanks for the thought.

Reply to
Bert Coules

What's your concern? Damage to the cable? Trip hazard?

Reply to
Adrian

The rubber strips will provide protection against light wheeled traffic at a minimum. I have some that will protect against fork lift trucks.

Reply to
Nightjar

Obtrusive is good. It stops people stepping on it or tripping over it.

Reply to
Nightjar

A rug on a laminate floor I'd be wary of being rather slippy.

Rubber matting(*) is the normal method of covering cables in the day job (TV OBs). But subtle it is not, has to be at least a foot wide or it won't stay put and/or slide about, also only comes in black. Single or just a few small (1/4" is dia) cables are just gaffered down where they cross a walkway.

When when the genset is in use and there are trailing mains cables here I cover the ones crossing walkways with a square (80 cm?) of comfort flooring as that is to hand.

It really depends on the traffic and if people actually tread on it, being dragged up through TV Studios/OB's one is taught not to tread on cables. B-) Low traffic and not routinely trodden on I think I'd just gaffer it down, but keep an eye on it for wear/damage.

The strips are very good, not used on OB's as they aren't big enough for most TV cables and getting the cable in the slot is fiddly. The rubber strips are really designed for semi-permenant use. Of course the real permenant solution is a new circuit...

(*) Similar to:

That is 3 mm thick I think the stuff on OB's is a bit heavier, maybe

5 mm overall thickness, with the ribs being 2 to 3 mm deep.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Translucent is available but obscenely expensive for very dubious gain. I prefer that people can see potential trip hazards clearly. eg

If it is only temporary then you probably want that stuff and then taped down with duck tape to avoid it still being a trip hazard. (bad news is that the adhesive may pull bits of wood up afterwards)

Sooner you have a safe permanent solution the better.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Wood plank with a rebate in the bottom for the cable?

Reply to
Tim Watts