Rust in bathroom.

Howdy all.

Anything ferrous in our bathrooms goes rusty. Like chromed soap dishes etc.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the water softener, that is, the slight increase in salt content.

Might I be right?

Cheers.

Reply to
Paul

No. Fer more likely to be the result of permanent humidity. Ventilation and a permanent hot towel rail help

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 for the ventilation.
Reply to
ARW

Softened water is worse for corrosion. Dampness also worsens the situation a good bit. The latter is usually straighforward to fix with ventilation, dehumidifier or finding & fixing a leak.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think you've identified the problem, when you say ferrous. There are alwa ys defects (not always visible) in the chrome plating. Moisture is sucked i n by capillary action and then the steel rusts away inside the chrome. The process will be quicker in a wetter bathroom, but nothing will stop it comp letely.

The only solution is to pay a bit more for brass rather than steel items. T hey still have the problem of defects in the chrome plating, but the brass underneath doesn't rust.

Mike

Reply to
jones_michael_groups

ways defects (not always visible) in the chrome plating. Moisture is sucked in by capillary action and then the steel rusts away inside the chrome. Th e process will be quicker in a wetter bathroom, but nothing will stop it co mpletely.

They still have the problem of defects in the chrome plating, but the bras s underneath doesn't rust.

Car chrome restorers rub off rust spots and wax coat the pits. Works well w here the chrome isn't rubbed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do you use very strong bleach and does whoever cleans the bathroom actually wash it all off? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff