Running hifi cables across a concrete floor

Hi there

Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables (speaker cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete floor? The cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or possibly at the edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way so I can't use channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I can't easily take them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I was thinking of cutting a 2 to 3 cm wide strip out of the underlay to run the cables along. Does this sound reasonable, or is it likely to show, and are there any alternatives I've missed?

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Done that, and also chipped out a channel with a cold chisel and let some speaker, antenna and mains cables into the floor itself. Not that hard in screed.

Filled it up with mortar and ...there ya go!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Chris writes

Yes, but you'll have to soak your underlay in snake oil that has been done in a polarised magnetic field to make sure the electrons are refreshed with every cycle, but if you can cope with that then yes;)

or you could try a posting to uk.rec.audio where you'll be told much worse;))

Reply to
tony sayer

What!, shame on U Nat P not putting a duct in and allowing for further expansion!....

Reply to
tony sayer

I've got coax cables crossing a bay window by going up behind the (floor-length) curtain, across behind the pelmet, and down behind the other curtain. Initially it sounds horrible, which is perhaps why it didn't occur to me for ages. But actually it works very well - if you've got the right sort of curtains, of course.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

"Chris" wrote in message news:422f8d9d$0$547$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...

I just laid flat speaker cable under the underlay in my front room for the surround sound rears.. Passes under the doorway near the gripper and hasn't shown yet despite all the traffic. In my last house I just ran cables (79 strand) ether side of the carpet gripper, works fine.

One hint get, a carpet "kicker" (about £30 from Machine Mart I think) makes putting the fitted carpet back much much easier.

Reply to
Ian_m

Mmm. It may all be for nothing anyway, since from design to What She Wats will probably neccessitate two more repositionings of the telly and speakers anyway.

Thank heaven for stud walls.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've done this and it has not shown, but it perhaps depends on thickness of carpet and the extent of any traffic.

Reply to
Michael Chare

LOL. I've seen some of the posts to uk.rec.audio whilst searching google groups, so I think I'll give it a miss. I have heard though that it is a good idea to paint the concrete with a paint dosed with carbon to create a decent screen, so I'm just off to grate a car body kit into a can of dulux.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks everyone for your responses. Once I've finished making the TV rack I'll yank up the carpet and have a play.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Make sure to seal the cavity to keep it oxygen-free! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager