rubber strip for bottom of garage door?

As winter comes I'm looking for some.5cm ish thick rubber strip to stop the mice squeezing underneath in search of warmth. Any ideas?

K Staffs

Reply to
anon

hi K -

I did this at my last house..was able to buy a length of rubber from my local DIY store (cant remember name..in High Street Leatherhead!)..sealed this with silicon then lay a length of aluminium over the top before fixing the whoel lot together with rivets. Worked a treat. I had been suffering badly from water leaks and this sealed it nicely.

hope this helps,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Cooper

You should be able to find something suitable here

company to deal with BTW.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Woolies is a good source of that sort of thing.

Dave Plowman (News)

While we wait for someone to come up with a suitable source, I'll suggest an alternative.

I've draughtproofed the bottom of my garage door with lengths of the sort of strip that looks like a very long brush. Sold in long strips or a door packs in hardware shops and, I presume, sheds.

I did this to cut down on heat loss and to stop leaves blowing in, but it should be as effective as rubber in keeping the mice out. (I'm sure that persistent mice will chew through rubber strips or nylon bristles. However their migration at this time of year is driven by a desire to find warm nesting spaces and I expect they'll take the line of least resistance and look elsewhere - as long as you don't store goodies like chocolate in your garage:)

The basic rule of thumb is that you need to keep gaps to less than a quarter of an inch to mouseproof a space - that will comfortably exceed the half inch needed to exclude rats.

Reply to
Jan Wysocki

I've been looking for exactly the same thing. Found this American product, but can't find a British supplier, annoying! Does anyone know if this can be bought in the UK?

Reply to
Keith Oliver