Robbing sheds! [Merry Christmas]

Only with loose covers that are no longer loose :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

You must have missed the tiny print on the hidden label - 'cold water only, hang to dry'.

Changing the topic somewhat - I was out of the country for a few months, and the relative staying in my house had his grandchildren visiting. This apparently resulted in said g'parents scrubbing all the upholstery, including the loose covers on a big armchair. I'd had the covers treated with a waterborne-stain repellent - which worked _really_ well. Spill something, and it just beaded up, and could be sponged off - tea, coffee - anything. Well - last month, I spilled a little water on the cover. It soaked right in. I've never washed the cover (haven't needed to). WHAT could they have done, to destroy the finish????

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

From popular folklore, aka labels on hiking kit: washed it with conventional detergent - washing-up liquid, normal washing powder, etc. The various "proofed" garments are quite fierce about their water-repellent coatings getting knacked unless washed in soap-only or pricey "TekWash" stuff. Dunno whether there's any real applied mathematics[1] behind the claim...

Stefek

[1] Y'know: physics is just applied maffs, chemistry just applied phsyics ;-)
Reply to
Stefek Zaba

I don't remember what the care label said, apart from using cold water, and not using a tumble dryer. I'll check it, next time I take the covers off.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister