Retail source for fluorescent light fittings (6 or 8')

Anyone know of a store where you could get fluorescent light fittings in excess of 5'. Made the mistake of thinking B&Q would do it - they didn't

Want to replace the kitchen 6' single fixing with at least a 6' double, but ideally an 8' ...

cheers guys

Reply to
Jethro

Like this?

't bovva wivva shop.

Online every time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Electrical wholesalers? CEF, Neweys, Edmundsons etc or a local idependant?

But get some sort of idea what price you are prepared to pay before you go there.

Most wholesalers do not mind members of the public buying there as long as they do not expect the place to act like a shed (ie lots of free displays and stupid questions).

And be prepared to haggle or walk out if the price in not right. I do when I am working away from home and I have to use a wholesalers where I do not have an account.

I believe 8' is getting harder to obtain these days so you might be better off with 6'.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dave Osborne

In message , Jethro writes

Wickes do tubes longer than 4' but not sure about the fittings, check the web page.

I picked up a 4' from B&Q last week but had to take it back as the bottom of the tube was mashed, ended up in Wickes, the tube from there is much quieter (and cheaper!) than the fitting+tube I bought from B&Q which is very loud.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

TLC (online and trade counters - happy to sell to non trade)

surface fittings you may want to have a look at the Thorn Punch 2 or Diffundi HF fittings, more expensive than standard fittings but IMHO worth it for a kitchen.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

Brilliant, thanks - have decided to go for

includes tubes too !!!!

Thanks for the other replies too - wish I had checked before the wasted drive - still got 'er indoors out & about for a bit

Reply to
Jethro

In message , Jethro writes

Why not install 2 X 5' fittings

a) easier (availability) to replace and

b) significantly cheaper to buy (economy of scale, as they say)

Reply to
geoff

I also need a new fitting soon - what is the cleanability of the chrome louvre (egg box?) things like? I would be concerned that if they get a bit greasy they may soon suffer from a washing. I saw some nice twin tubed fittings in a local Sainsbury's over the DVDs. The reflector seemed to be mesh so some diffused light got through - couldn't see a makers name though.

Reply to
John

It depends on the quality of them. The cheaper super high efficiency reflectors aren't cleanable. Even dusting them scratches them, and they're too fragile to do much else. Of course they still work, but the efficiency drops and they will start scattering light rather than cleanly reflecting it. There are more robust ones, but they tend to be less efficient. I would not regard these louvered reflectors as suitable for use in a greasy environment.

Sometimes you can pick up this sort of thing from ebay. I got a nice ETAP office fitting (2 x 35W T5, auto light level adjusting) for £10, whereas a think they're normally well north of £200. Suspension kit was missing, but wasn't difficult to make one, which suited better than the original.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks - nothing worse than something that can't be cleaned properly.

Reply to
John

what is wrong with TLC shop ? .... that is where I go to get my stuff

Reply to
Rick Hughes

OH well, TLC had exactly what I wanted, but won't deliver (too fragile). Since I appear to be almost exactly equidistant from any branch I shall have to find an alternative ...

Reply to
Jethro

All electrical wholesalers will stock them. Just look up your nearest in yellow pages.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes 8 ft. tubes are potentially obsolescent. They're supposed to be phased out during 2012 in favour of more energy-efficient products. With millions of 8 ft. fittings still in service it remains to be seen whether this will actually happen, but I'd certainly avoid installing any new ones now. Go for 6 ft. 70 W with HF ballasts for best efficiency.

Reply to
Andy Wade