Mandelbrot set closed

I read his book The Misbehaviour of Markets in which he showed that the equations used by brokers to predict prices in commodity markets are wrong. From his proposal for the fractal behaviour of prices, it was clear three years ago that the markets would crash before long and that one large crash would not be the end of it, but a double dip is likely. I tried to persuade a friend not to buy a flat two years and failed. She's now got one worth less than she paid for it.

I highly recommend the book.

Reply to
Peter Scott

pretty fractal images, which I played with in the late 1980's. Actually, I searched and found it had been ported to unix, so I grabbed it, built it (fixing up a few broken bits), and then had a play...

Andrew Gabriel

Reminded me too. We used fractint as an informal benchmark on the new super-power 16 bit pcs that were appearing. Recently, New Scientist gave a link to a 3D version of this that produces stunning images. I'll see if I can find it and post it here

Reply to
Peter Scott

Peter Scott

there now a Windows version, do you know?

One of the first programmes I wrote when I got a Sinclair ZX81 with only 1K memory (can you believe it these days?) was a little routine to plot the classic Mandelbrot set. No more than about half a dozen lines of code IIRC. It took about eighteen hours to run, and only gave a simple B&W silhouette, but I was very chuffed!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I remember getting it to compile and run on a late 80s Tektronix graphics workstation - although I don't think the Unix-based version had all the bells and whistles that the final DOS versions did.

Heh :-) I remember typing in one for one of those Casio graphical calculators in the early 90s, too. It wasn't quite as slow as the ZX81, but still took a few hours - and it was a bit of a race to see if it'd complete before the batteries ran out.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I would say the best fractal program around at the moment is Ultrafractal.

can be used among other things to play about with mandlebulbs.

mark

mark

mark

There's something almost disturbing about some of these images. Or is it just me?

Reply to
Halmyre

Ok, Ok guys we're all showing our age a bit - is this a competition to see who can remember the oldest semiconductor technology ? Who can remember red spot and white spot germanium transistors in the

1950's ? 7/6 for the audio ones and 10/- for the rf ones. Digital hadn't been invented as far as I, and most others, was concerned.

I was one of the fortunate ones - the guy down the road was the manager of the electronics division of a big power transformer company and used to get me components. It always puzzled me as a budding electronics engineer that there he was in electronics and his television was the crappiest in the street.

Rob

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Carefully filing a groove round the casing, removing it, washing off the jelly, sandpapering the paint off the casing, and gluing iot back on again - to save money on buying a phototransistor?

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Halmyre writes

Someone elsewhere pointed out that it was lucky he wasn't murdered

It would have taken forever to draw the chalk mark around the body

Reply to
geoff

Oh yes! That's the cleverest remark on this ng for some time

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott