Replacing windows in a bay

Hi

We're hoping to buy a 1930's house which has bay windows at the front (living room and bedroom directly above). The original (I presume) metal-framed windows are fitted.

I know that some (wooden) bay windows require structural support and mullions are fitted. But there are no mullions and the old metal frames look too thin to be load-bearing.

So, my question is, can anyone advise if I can safely remove the old metal-framed windows without any structural risks? Are there any further checks I could do or will I need professional advice?

Many thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Most but not *all* of these 30s bays are counter levered with joints on the first floor, look for a 8x4 beam across the front room bay Ceiling. If you are intending double glassing make sure the company properly fit strengthening poles between each window. Shame to lose the original crittall-windows though.

Reply to
Mark

Hi

Shame to lose the original crittall-windows though.

Are they worth keeping? I've still got them, since my bays comprise of

5 windows and the cost of DG has always been beyond me.

Bugger to paint, cold in winter, condensation etc. Are there any good points?

Dave

Reply to
Magician

Thanks Mark, very helpful. I'm afraid I agree with Dave though - too much hassle painting and not warm enough.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Well thay have lasted 70 years, and with a little TLC should last another

  1. i have some orignal wooden windows that are 250 years old and still look and work fine. How long do you think plastic ones will last and still look good ? or are windows now another disposable item.;-(
Reply to
Mark